What a brute!!!

/ What a brute!!!
Re: What a bummer...

Hate to hear that. how many hours you got on her?

I have no idea. When I bought the tractor is had this engine in it which is not the original JD engine... it a Yanmar 3TNE88 non-JD engine instead of the 3TN84RJ that JD used. No way of telling what kind of history the engine had... I believe it's had a long life and just worn out and in need of refreshing.

/ What a brute!!! #63  
Grass will take care of it.

... and sow some Kentucky 31 fescue. I didn't want to mess with a retaining wall.

I seed farm lawns and would like to suggest that you do not use Kentucky 31 seed. The grass blade is extra coarse and is obsolete beause of the newer generations of turf fescues. KY 31 is far too wide of a blade and tends to clump itself and make an irregular lawn surface. Plus it spreads to clump in better looking grass areas.

Any blend of the so called "tall turf fescues" (they aren't really tall) will cost about the same a KY 31 but be much narrower and much more pleasant in growth characteristics without requiring any more water or fertilizer than the KY 31. Just my two cents here.

/ What a brute!!! #64  
Being from KY and having harvested a lot of KY 31 for the market (what a royal pain to manage the heat issues) I agree it is 'OLD' technology.

/ What a brute!!!
Good to know. The other two I was looking at are "Macho" and "Crossfire". I should also add that this area is not part of my "lawn" around the house. This area is "pasture"... even though I don't have any livestock.

/ What a brute!!! #66  
Good to know. The other two I was looking at are "Macho" and "Crossfire". I should also add that this area is not part of my "lawn" around the house. This area is "pasture"... even though I don't have any livestock.

I know it's pasture/lawn but pick the right seed so it looks good over the longer haul. The newer turf fescues are everywhere and should not be hard to find. Often they are a blend of three varieties with 10% perennial rye thrown in for fast germination. Ask if you want more info.

/ What a brute!!! #67  
I seed farm lawns and would like to suggest that you do not use Kentucky 31 seed. The grass blade is extra coarse and is obsolete beause of the newer generations of turf fescues. KY 31 is far too wide of a blade and tends to clump itself and make an irregular lawn surface. Plus it spreads to clump in better looking grass areas.

Any blend of the so called "tall turf fescues" (they aren't really tall) will cost about the same a KY 31 but be much narrower and much more pleasant in growth characteristics without requiring any more water or fertilizer than the KY 31. Just my two cents here.

I have had good luck with scotts landscapers mix. I am going to eventually overseed everything with it.