What a Joke! GM and its latest recall.

/ What a Joke! GM and its latest recall. #1  

Diamondpilot

Super Star Member
Tractor
Jinma 254/284 Ford 861 Powermaster at work
They never cease to amaze me???:confused2: A recall that does not fix a problem but instead deactivates it and then pays you off $100 signing off your rights to a class action law suit??? What a Joke! :confused::confused::confused:

The bigger issue to me is this sets a presidence for all auto manufactures, not just GM, to say "hey we screwed up so we are just going to take out that feature that you paid for". Ok, I know its just a windshield washer fliud heater but where does it end? What if you bought a new Caddy or Infinity and they said, "well the heated sets are a issue so we are just going to deactivate them"? I would be PO'd Or what if it was the navigation system in your dash? Come on.

I am not GM bashing here but nothing they do amazes me anymore. This is setting up a model for other manufactures to follow. Instead of fixing issues they can now just do away with them. For me these little options are what sells me. I like gadgets on my vehicles. I am the opposite on my mowers and tractors, but my vehicles yes, I want them.

I am against law suits for the most part but I hope the 1.5 million owners band together and make GM do the right thing. This proposal is crap!

GM recalling 1.5M vehicles over fire concerns - Yahoo! News

Chris

/ What a Joke! GM and its latest recall. #2  
i too look for certain options when i buy a new vehicle. though, to me, the heated washer fluid isn't going to be a deal breaker. if they disabled my power windows, or converted them to manual, then yes, i'd have an issue too. i do agree that it's a cheesy way to solve a problem, but the whole safety recall thing has been a joke ever since the gm saddle tank debacle.

i'd be willing to bet that 95% of the recalls in the last 20 years have actually had less to do with safety than they have with the 0.005% of people who were able to start a multi-billion dollar class action suit over something that isn't a life or death issue. i've got an 06 sierra slt, but i don't think heated washer fluid was available on them, so i won't get the $100. bummer.

from reading it seems like they thought they fixed the issue in 08 - assumedly all newer models affected used the upgraded parts, but the issue returned in the fixed ones too. they said the contractor for that part is now out of business (probably the last recall tanked them). i suppose as the consumer, i'd have been happier with them disabling the system now, and saying they were looking for a fix in the not too distant future, as opposed to an immediate payoff. i assume other manufacturers have heated washer fluid systems that work?

/ What a Joke! GM and its latest recall.
they said the contractor for that part is now out of business (probably the last recall tanked them).

Either that or the $.10 on the Dollar most suppliers received when they declared bankruptcy. It sent the company my father works for into bankruptcy themselves along with all employees taking a 10% pay cut to save there jobs.

Chris

/ What a Joke! GM and its latest recall. #4  
Diamond Pilot, isn't it kind of like drilling holes in the bottom of a boat to let the water out?

I agree, kind of looks like they took the cheap way out.

Diamond Pilot, isn't it kind of like drilling holes in the bottom of a boat to let the water out?

I agree, kind of looks like they took the cheap way out.

Same thing they did with the late model D-max and the snow ingestion problem. Could not believe the fix is drill hole then put tape over them.

Chris

/ What a Joke! GM and its latest recall. #6  
If the supplier of the washer fluid heater is no longer in business and they don't have another supplier or know how to correct it inhouse, what should they have done? Personally, I can't think of a good option. If they do nothing and your vehicle catches on fire, they'll definitely be criticized, as well as be sued. So they're disconnecting it and paying the owner $100. What did that option cost when the vehicles were sold new?

Didn't that article say there'd only been 5 fires in over a million vehicles? So if you don't think you'll have a fire, and don't want the $100, I assume owners can ignore the recall message.

I guess I'm fortunate to not have a dog in that fight, since (1) I don't currently own a GM product, (2) I'd have no use for a windshield washer fluid heater in any vehicle, and (3) I not only don't have, but would not want any seat heater either.:laughing: Now if they come out with a seat cooler, that might be a different matter.:laughing:

I'm not trying to defend GM at all, but I sure don't know what better option they had than what they're doing.

/ What a Joke! GM and its latest recall. #7  
GM said the technology, which helps melt ice in freezing temperatures, was available from only one supplier, Microheat Inc., of Farmington Hills, Mich., which went out of business, preventing GM from working with another supplier on an improved design

They have a minor problem with a frilly option. Unfortunately, a replacement solution is not available to them. Disable the feature, reimburse the customer the value of the option and move onto a better design and alternate vendor. I don't see reason for the uproar.:confused2:

/ What a Joke! GM and its latest recall. #8  
They have a minor problem with a frilly option. Unfortunately, a replacement solution is not available to them. Disable the feature, reimburse the customer the value of the option and move onto a better design and alternate vendor. I don't see reason for the uproar.:confused2:
Exactly!
DP just looks for any chance to put down any manufacturer but Ford especially when it includes GM...
I think this was the best route for this particular problem. Maybe they should ignore it for years like a faulty computer controlled accelerator then just pay the fines when it finally catches up to them...
Or just blame the part manufacturer for the problem instead of the vehicle it's installed in like the Ford Explorer/Firestone disaster....:rolleyes:

I could care less if all those folks who own a GM due without a WWF heater. The problem is by GM going this route it sets up all of us. This sets a presidence for any manufacture, Ford included, to say we can not fix it so we are going to render it inoperative. To me this is a joke. Has nothing to do with GM per say, its has more to do with the auto industry.

This is pure incompetence by GM. If they wanted to fix it right they could. Finding another company to make the parts need to do the repair should not be a issue. It may take some time for engineering and tooling but I would say no more than 6 months. I could see disabling the system for the time being and paying customers $100 for the inconvenience then having the kits on hand and entice the customers in with a free oil change and tire rotation to put the NEW BETTER KITS in when available. This is what was done on the one and only recall on my Nissan Titan and I walked away very happy.

Bird. Seat heaters are great. I use mine in my 3 vehicles equipped more for my sore back then to keep my rear end warm. By the way cooled seats have been options in many cars for about 7 or so years but I have never personally owned one.

As for keeping it going and not having your recall done I asked my insurance man that very question at the lake today. He said any car or product that has had a recall the owner did not perform will have a claim denied if it cause a loss. I know the chance is few and far between but if it was to catch fire in your garage and burn down your home you would be up the creek without a paddle.

Chris

/ What a Joke! GM and its latest recall. #10  
This will be the second recall by GM for the "Heated Windshield Wiper Fluid" defect. I have two GM vehicles that have supposedly been repaired for this problem under a previous recall. Does this mean I will not receive another recall for this problem? I am waiting to see if I receive another recall notice, at least if I receive one this time I am supposed to get $100.00.

Byrd: I looked on the bill of sale for the vehicles and the Heated Wiper Fluid option was included as part of a package so I don't know what the option cost.