what a waste!

/ what a waste! #21  
Its a shame, I was at the scrap yard the other day and a mand had brought in 2 super A farmalls in pretty good shape. One has all the cultivators on it. I tried to buy it but the hand refused. I offered him double price of scrap and he wouldnt take it. Took it back there and they mangled it up. also went was a nice wagon running gear with a dump on it. I told my wife the cultivators on the one tractor would have fetched 900 to 1000 for an organic farmer or truck patcher. A Mexican friend of mine whose family farm near Vera cruz just bought a 4 bottom JD breaking plow that I picked up from a scrapper. He gave me 350 for it bought some other tools to take back to his family's farm when he went back for a visit. When he came back he told me how many folks it would help.

/ what a waste! #22  
I offered him double price of scrap and he wouldnt take it. .

That really makes me think- STOLEN. Why would he refuse double the scrap price unless he wanted the evidence destroyed....hmmmm:confused:

/ what a waste! #23  
Ahh??
How about we let scrap business run there own dam business.
And how about we PUNISH crooks.
If we actually "PUNISHED" criminals, for EVERY crime
(Like say 10 years of hard labor for braking into a house and stripping copper)
Crime would be abot 10% of what it is, and we could get off business backs.

Slack

The time has long passed that the fed's should require every state force each scrap seller get a permit to sell to scrap yards. A permit would require proof of residence, ID picture, and maybe your social. After that, each transaction at EVERY scrap yard would be recorded with your permit number. Just for good measure, the license tag would be recorded with it, and a video camera would record the scrap being brought in. Yeah, I know this system would cost money to implement and add to the hassle of honest people trying to sell scrap, but I guarantee you it would cut WAY down on the number of "thefts to be sold for scrap" and make it lots easier for the cops to find those that tried to do it.

/ what a waste! #24  
...'swords into plowshares'.

...or vice versa. It's been happening since man discovered metal.

/ what a waste! #25  
Ahh??

Slack

I 2nd that.

/ what a waste! #26  
Ahh??

Yep! Unlessn you wanna be the guy who volunteers to do a background check on each person and piece of scrap that comes into the yard. Most yards don't have the time or budget for it.

If it looks or sounds fishy, they won't take it around here- especially cars. I've had state police come and "certify" a car as abandoned before the yard would take it.

- JC

/ what a waste! #27  
i think he meant to prosecute those caught stealing wire or cars and scrapping them so the problem does not exist and the penalty deters the act. It was a previous person who suggested permits.

"Ahh??
How about we let scrap business run there own dam business"

He was saying to leave the business owner alone so he doesnt have to worry about is he a criminal or not.

/ what a waste! #28  
i think he meant to prosecute those caught stealing wire or cars and scrapping them so the problem does not exist and the penalty deters the act. It was a previous person who suggested permits.

"Ahh??
How about we let scrap business run there own dam business"

He was saying to leave the business owner alone so he doesnt have to worry about is he a criminal or not.

Yep, got all that. I support his position and he became my favorite person today!

Unlessn you wanna be the guy who volunteers

This was directed at the guy who wanted more permits and gov't involvement. I didn't call him by name because I wanted to speak against the idea, not the person posting. It's never personal, just a discussion.

Sorry if that wasn't clear.

- JC

/ what a waste! #29  
Ahh??

Slack

I am with you:thumbsup: I like the fact that around here they pay cash for scrap, the only question is $100's or $20's????
Don't make life hard for us because someone else broke the law.

/ what a waste! #30  
Scrap dealers here require driver's license and take vehicle license for every delivery...of metal of any kind, not just copper/brass/al.

That's how it is here.

I've seen some pretty useful stuff lying in the scrap yard. On the other hand, I've had my own yard so full of partially cannibalized mowers and machines that I had to make room somehow. I didn't get near the value for scrap that I would have by parting them all out a piece at a time, but with the time I saved I was able to work on higher dollar projects.

I understand a little better now why some people will scrap things that others will hang on to.

The nice thing about our scrap yard is that they'll sell anything in the yard for a set price per pound.