What are some good online sources for Cat 6 cable and pass thru connectors?

/ What are some good online sources for Cat 6 cable and pass thru connectors? #1  

newbury

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota's - B7610, M4700
I'm about to get fibered in Mississippi. By this fall the local power company expects to have the infrastructure to my door so I can get 100 Mbps up and down. Compared to the present 7 down/0.7 up.
So I want to start wiring my sheds

Attachments

• outside-shops-cropped.jpg
    outside-shops-cropped.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 110
so I can put up a bunch of security cams and access points.

Since the sheds are metal I know I'm going to have to do a lot of hardwire. To that end I'm planning on at least. 20 runs of cable so I figure a box of Cat 6, 1,000 feet will get me started. All runs will be exposed inside and there are no tight bends so I was figuring solid versus stranded.

I haven't had to buy raw cable for decades. Where is a good place to order from?
I'll probably be putting it together with Klein pass thru connectors and tool. Darn, I wish they had that 20 years ago.

/ What are some good online sources for Cat 6 cable and pass thru connectors? #2  
20 runs? Yikes.

Why so many? Just curious.

/ What are some good online sources for Cat 6 cable and pass thru connectors?
POE Cameras, access points, computers. I've become addicted to being able to log onto a laptop whenever I have a question. And my need for speed.
Like I wrote, the internet had been limited to 7 down, 0.7 up. That let me stream off site 2 cameras. 100 up will be a game changer.
Plus I've read it's possible to stream movies :)

/ What are some good online sources for Cat 6 cable and pass thru connectors? #4  
I would be working on my Wi-Fi solution . I would not be wiring for CAT 6 in 2022. That was what we did 20 years ago.

I don't know of any stranded cat 6 wire, it is all solid as far as I know. But again, why run wire?

/ What are some good online sources for Cat 6 cable and pass thru connectors? #5  
I would be working on my Wi-Fi solution . I would not be wiring for CAT 6 in 2022. That was what we did 20 years ago.

I don't know of any stranded cat 6 wire, it is all solid as far as I know. But again, why run wire?
Patch cables are stranded. That's why they flex so easy. Solid would kink.

/ What are some good online sources for Cat 6 cable and pass thru connectors? #6  

I'd hard wire between floors in a house and from the house to any out buildings. Then go wireless per floor (if not a sprawling ranch-type house) and wireless per building (again, if not a sprawling building).

I'd also hard wire if you work from home. My wife works from home. The WIFI drops out several times a day. Resolved that by running a hard wire from the ISP router to her work desk. She plugs in her laptop. Never a problem now.

/ What are some good online sources for Cat 6 cable and pass thru connectors? #7  
Go to your local online electrical supplier i.e. mouser/newark/...

I wouldn't bother with the cost of bulkhead RG45 connectors, just get big enough watertight strain reliefs you can fit your camera connectors through

/ What are some good online sources for Cat 6 cable and pass thru connectors? #8  
Yea, I have wire pulled all over my place that I never use. To each his own I guess but that's a lot for nothing these days. The only wire I have is to an access point that is in a place I could not get a good wifi for one of my 8 Ring cameras. I do think the wireless extenders are a waste of money but that's because I haven't had one that works.

/ What are some good online sources for Cat 6 cable and pass thru connectors? #9  
POE cameras are the gold standard these days. Wire is required for those.

I'd add a wireless access point inside each outbuilding and be done with that.

Wire between buildings would also be cheaper than wireless if they are somewhat close together.

/ What are some good online sources for Cat 6 cable and pass thru connectors?
But again, why run wire?
For starters -
Because I essentially have 4 Faraday cages
To run POE, I've yet to see Power Over Wireless.
so once again -
I haven't had to buy raw cable for decades. Where is a good place to order from?
/edit
POE cameras are the gold standard these days. Wire is required for those.

I'd add a wireless access point inside each outbuilding and be done with that.

Wire between buildings would also be cheaper than wireless if they are somewhat close together.
Yup, and if you looked at the picture the 4 existing buildings (Faraday cages) are only separated in one place by a few feet.

Last edited: