What are the differences between a MF 135 "special" and the MF 135 "deluxe"

/ What are the differences between a MF 135 "special" and the MF 135 "deluxe" #21  
Re: What are the differences between a MF 135 "special" and the MF 135 "deluxe"

Evening, I have a 67 MF 135 Diesel Deluxe with 5000 hours. I just bought it last week. I have a thread with pics on this forum if you care to take a look. Seems these machines are worth more in parts than whole.
Murph

/ What are the differences between a MF 135 "special" and the MF 135 "deluxe"

Evening, I have a 67 MF 135 Diesel Deluxe with 5000 hours. I just bought it last week. I have a thread with pics on this forum if you care to take a look. Seems these machines are worth more in parts than whole.
Murph

Oh Murph a fellow Buckeye! Greetings, we will have to check your thread out for sure. I know what you mean about the machines being worth more in parts than as a whole, especially when you are rebuilding an engine or in our MF150's case replacing a rear rim and both tires....lol. Take care, we will check out your pictures.

:tractor:--MasseyLady

/ What are the differences between a MF 135 "special" and the MF 135 "deluxe"

Murph

Just checked out your pictures Murph......we are jealous that its a diesel and a deluxe.......lol. Can't wait till we get our 135 up and going, probably will not be till next spring or summer.
Take care and best to you on your 135, they are a treat indeed.

:tractor:--MasseyLady

/ What are the differences between a MF 135 "special" and the MF 135 "deluxe" #24  

MasseyLady,,,just a thought...since you now have a 135 with the Cont. engine...if you plan on doing anything "heavy" behind you on the tractor, you may want to take a look at the front weight bracket that Value Bilt has for sale...if you are interested go back to the middle of Nov on this forum and check the "135 Front Weight Brackets" threads,, there will be two..the unit itself is perfect, plus I already had the weights, so saved some money there...again for the $66 or so for the bracket, its an absolute steal...as I've seen these particular brackets for sale for as much as $270...BobG in VA

/ What are the differences between a MF 135 "special" and the MF 135 "deluxe" #25  

Greetings. You can actually get three versions of gas 135's. Perkins made a 3 cyl diesel and a 3 cyl gas. The 4 cyl came depending on year and a Z134 and Z145 Continitial gas models. The Z145 has a slightly larger motor. I have a 65 Z145 and it starts as good as my 2012 Honda Accord. It's best to educate yourself before buying. Taking a MF owner with you would be a plus. These are tough little tractors that are very versatile. All I use mine for is Bush Hogging and will be spreading some gravel soon on my driveway. If and when you buy a vintage 135, get yourself a "operators manual" close to the same vintage as your buying. It saves from learning the hard way.

If your Pro Ebay, it's an excellent source for manuals. FYI, buy only original printed vintage manuals to be assured you get what you need. BTW Welcome to TNB from a Tennessean. -robert:thumbsup:

The Perkins 3 cylinder gasoline engine is a converted diesel engine, very rugged and fuel efficient. I once had one and prefer it to the Continental gasoline engines though it has become a bit of an orphan.

In any event, if considering a 35, avoid the Standard Motors 4 cylinider diesel. It is a notoriously hard starter and parts are difficult to find.

SDT

/ What are the differences between a MF 135 "special" and the MF 135 "deluxe" #26  

The Perkins 3 cylinder gasoline engine is a converted diesel engine, very rugged and fuel efficient. I once had one and prefer it to the Continental gasoline engines though it has become a bit of an orphan.

In any event, if considering a 35, avoid the Standard Motors 4 cylinider diesel. It is a notoriously hard starter and parts are difficult to find.

SDT
Are you saying the Continentals are not rugged. Maybe yours was not properly tuned... I have used both and the major difference was the maintenance cost was extreme on the Diesel. BTW there are quite a few differences between a gas Perkins and a Diesel Perkins in parts alone. They use the same engine block and that's about all basically.

/ What are the differences between a MF 135 "special" and the MF 135 "deluxe" #27  

Are you saying the Continentals are not rugged. Maybe yours was not properly tuned... I have used both and the major difference was the maintenance cost was extreme on the Diesel. BTW there are quite a few differences between a gas Perkins and a Diesel Perkins in parts alone. They use the same engine block and that's about all basically.

Well aware of all of that and did not say that the Continentals were not rugged but it is well known that they are prone to cracks in the block between the cylinders after 40 or 50 years.

SDT

/ What are the differences between a MF 135 "special" and the MF 135 "deluxe" #28  

How you figure extreme on costs for the diesel??? Gas engines don't last as long either.

/ What are the differences between a MF 135 "special" and the MF 135 "deluxe" #29  

Well aware of all of that and did not say that the Continentals were not rugged but it is well known that they are prone to cracks in the block between the cylinders after 40 or 50 years.

SDT

SDT...I think you must be thinking about the Z129 and Z134 blocks...I'm not aware of any such pervasive problem with the Z145. Pls show imperical data that is "well known" on the Z145 if you have it. BobG in VA

/ What are the differences between a MF 135 "special" and the MF 135 "deluxe" #30  
murphy1244 said:
How you figure extreme on costs for the diesel??? Gas engines don't last as long either.

Have you ever priced rebuilding a Continental vs Perkins Diesel? Have you priced a set of injectors vs plugs and a carb kit? Don't get me wrong here. The Perkins diesel is the gold standard of the 135's but when trouble comes up they can be pricy. Have you priced a Perkins piston vs Continental?