what are the limits of a 20 hp model?

/ what are the limits of a 20 hp model? #1  

Scratchnbell

Silver Member
Tractor
New Holland 2001 TC40d
I have found several different modle tractors in the 19-20 hp range. What can and can't these models do?
I want to maintain 2.5 acres. I want a FEL to help with lifting tasks, what are they rated at for lifting? I also want a scraper and maybe post hole digger, mower and rototiller.
I'm open to suggestions here.
Thanks
Bob

/ what are the limits of a 20 hp model? #2  
Bob,

I think you're going to have to provide just a bit more information. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

It would be helpful to know what brand of tractors you're looking at. Without knowing that, nobody can provide any recommendations on types of loaders, size of attachments, or what the machines can or cannot do. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ what are the limits of a 20 hp model? #3  
Bob
In addition to what Garry asked, how big of a tiller do you need? (the bigger the tiller the greater PTO hp required). How much do you need to lift at any one time? What about ground clearance issues, are you on flat property or are you taking this through the woods with logs and ruts? As for HP, you could be talking about a LT (lawn tractor) a GT (garden tractor) a Sub-CUT (low profile compact utility tractor) or a small CUT (compact utility tractor) so it would be helpful to know more specific information about the units you are considering and the tasks you want to complete.

/ what are the limits of a 20 hp model?
I'm not looking at lawn tractors.
I'm a very newbe so I'll do my best.
The property is in Bakersfield Ca. Is is very flat with sandy loam soil.
I've seen listed in the Ag Source magazine several of these compact and sub compact tractors. One is a Kubota no model listed. It is 20 hp 4x4 and 2 cyl diesel. I've also seen several Yanmar models listed. Most seem to be the Viet Nam recons with Very little hours.( From what I've read I want to avoid those.) Other Yanmar models seem to be direct JApan imports.
I've also seen a Mitsubishi 2000d but could not find much out about that one so decided it would likely hard to get parts for such a beast.
I have a few ideas but very little. Can the Kubota be a grey market tractor? Where can I find america equivalent model number s for some of these imports, Say JD number to match the yanmars?
Thanks for any and all advice
Bob

Ok, I called the guy with the Kubota.
It is a model 1501. He said that many companies put their names on this same model. It has 670 hours and a brush hog FEL and a rear blade. He wants $8,500.
Any opinions?
Bob

/ what are the limits of a 20 hp model? #6  
I have specs on the Mahindra (built in Japan by Mitsubishi) 2015HST (4x4 hydro). It lifts 915lbs in the FEL, can run a 48" tiller and a 54" box scraper, a 48" rotary mower or a 60" finish mower, and about any auger. It weighs about 2600lbs for the tractor and loader and comes standard with R4 tires. It is a compact, but not a sub compact like a BX Kubota.

Regardless of the brand, it is amazing how much work can be done with 20HP. It is tru that you can do it quicker with 30HP, but in my opinion 20-25HP would generally be about right for 2.5 acres.

There are so many great brands out there. Other than the big three, also look at Mahindra and Kioti. I am biased as I sell Mahindra, but I can certainly appreciate the other brands.

/ what are the limits of a 20 hp model? #7  
I'm maintaining five acres with a 16 hp tractor and doing just fine - using a bush hog, FEL, and box blade with it so far and absolutely no complaints. Sure, if I had a bigger machine with more horsepower I could do it quicker, but I'm very happy with the bang for the buck of my little Kubota. The limits are the size of the implements it will handle; they're all about 48" wide.

Pete

So is this considered a sub compact tractor? IS the price about right?
Bob

/ what are the limits of a 20 hp model? #9  
<font color="blue">I have specs on the Mahindra (built in Japan by Mitsubishi) 2015HST (4x4 hydro). </font>

Dave, this surprises me because I never would have guessed an Indian company would sub out a tractor to a Japanese company...

Because labor costs are so much higher in Japan, if for no other reason.

I can't dispute it, I certainly don't know any different. It just really surprised me to read that...

/ what are the limits of a 20 hp model? #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Dave, this surprises me because I never would have guessed an Indian company would sub out a tractor to a Japanese company... )</font>

Henro, they say they make very little on the tractor, but they needed a quality smaller unit to compete head to head with the big guys, and this filled that nitch.

On another note, after taking delivery of the newest Indian built Mahindra recently (7520), I am now confident that they can build a Japanese quality tractor themselves in India. The 75HP 4x4 7520 does not take second place to any brand in quality, ergonomics, or features. I am going to India in January to tour the plant and I hope to bring back some pictures and details.