What are the tricks to pulling a well pump?

/ What are the tricks to pulling a well pump? #21  
well tubing fishing tools - Google Search

Water Well Fishing Tools | eHow.com

Fishing tools; there numerous ones as you can see by the images.

There are also numerous ways of doing the fishing. If all they have is a hook and no other tools they may not be too familiar with fishing procedures.

The type fishing involved here should not be that difficult. Use a cable and spear or tubing and overshot. Try and talk to some oilfield service rig people if that is possible.

For other types of tubing I was meaning pipe that may be more corrosion resistant. But if the pulled tubing looks good maybe I'm just blowing hot/cold/smelly air!:(

My knowledge on this type of stuff is from many a year ago so I just may be antiquated:eek::eek:.

A picture of the tubing where it broke might allow some fellows to speculate on why it broke.:)

Last edited:
   / What are the tricks to pulling a well pump? #22  
I would think a well compary that has the equipment to pull and repair a well pump also has insurance against something going wrong.
Since they suggested they pull the pump it is there responability to to do so safetly.
And don't talk to them about how they should have done it. Contact a Lawyer to let them know to get with it to have well pulled and new installed properly. And what the old pump looks like is not your worry since they dropped it.
Also have him discuss with them the loss of income due to there problems.
And why 1400' well and 700' pump depth?
At what level does the water stay with the pump running.
Is the pump piping metal or black plastic. And at this depth where was the safety rope to keep weight off the pipe when running.
Sure would like to know the answer to your problems. Pilgram Pride bought out ConAgria here then shut down the processing plant. And the chicken houses. Left the city and county to pay for the waste water processing plant. As well the employees with no jobs.

ken

/ What are the tricks to pulling a well pump? #23  
Many years ago I worked at a pump repair shop. We built a tool for pulling dropped pumps. It was funnel shaped with cam teeth that would grab the pipe like a chinese finger puzzel. It worked on several drops. One that caused the most trouble was a well that a rock had worked out into the well below the cased section. When we pulled it up to that point the pump wedged and that was it. A larger rig pulled several thousand pounds on it until it snapped and went splash. They were lucky that the water was high enough to set a new pump right on top of the rock that caused the whole mess. I just wonder if the pump will be worth much after a drop like it took???

/ What are the tricks to pulling a well pump? #24  
Hello TractorByNet,

I was searching for info on pulling a deep well pump and came across this site. I have a problem...big one I think.

I raise commercial poultry (60K birds) and my well pump wasn't pulling quite the optimal amps....soooo, the pump company suggested they pull the pump thinking it might need a small 'part' to repair. I said to NOT do this while I had birds, so since birds went out last week the pump co. came yesterday morning to pull the pump.

Here's my stats that I can remember: Well depth 1460 feet, 5 hp pump set at 700'.

Thanks again!
Marianne
Maple Shade Farm
Arkansas

The reason why your pump was over amping is probably you had a coupler broke or corroded, causing a leak bad enough to over work the motor. A centrifugal pump when not working at desired head pressure will over work its self by moving more galons per minute then rated H.P. Chances are that pump would have burned out any way. You seem to be in a confined aquifer, and that other pump will probably never give you a problem down there. Wish you luck.