What are you paying for Stihl chain?

/ What are you paying for Stihl chain? #31  
an FYI on Stihl saws that may be different now but I found out hard way back in '77 first time ran something other then Homlite's and McCulloch's with g-pa's 031 when it was fairly new. was bucking limbs off some 2nd growth fir trees he fell, recall they were around 30-36" across, limb was as such that cutting from top would bind on bar, so i was cutting from underneath. Well that was great until log ROLLED. them old yellow and red/red-green saws always died when bound on top of bar.Stihl's kick out (least that 031 and several others back then did) result was 2 layers of thread in upper leg missing knee cap by fraction of inch.
now days I running a Husky 359 with a Stihl full chisel skip tooth,love it when its running but cold it starts as bad as a McCulloch.
yes those chains they have their own mind they are not for the inexperienced occasional user. just wish did not have to take the Square chains to Enumclaw when they need ground to keep them square.local Stihl Dealer sold his grinder for them.

/ What are you paying for Stihl chain? #32  
My stihls always start hard, 8 pulls or so. They have for over 20 years.

If you cut up a pile of larger logs at once, you will love the 660. The power lets its own weight make it go through the log. Great for a bundle of slab wood. Powers through it before you undo the bundle. A lot of saw for 8" trees.

Ken

/ What are you paying for Stihl chain?
My stihls always start hard, 8 pulls or so. They have for over 20 years.

If you cut up a pile of larger logs at once, you will love the 660. The power lets its own weight make it go through the log. Great for a bundle of slab wood. Powers through it before you undo the bundle. A lot of saw for 8" trees.

Ken

I won't even start the MS660 for trees of 20" or less. Might debate it for 25" trees though.

/ What are you paying for Stihl chain?
an FYI on Stihl saws that may be different now but I found out hard way back in '77 first time ran something other then Homlite's and McCulloch's with g-pa's 031 when it was fairly new. was bucking limbs off some 2nd growth fir trees he fell, recall they were around 30-36" across, limb was as such that cutting from top would bind on bar, so i was cutting from underneath. Well that was great until log ROLLED. them old yellow and red/red-green saws always died when bound on top of bar.Stihl's kick out (least that 031 and several others back then did) result was 2 layers of thread in upper leg missing knee cap by fraction of inch.
now days I running a Husky 359 with a Stihl full chisel skip tooth,love it when its running but cold it starts as bad as a McCulloch.
yes those chains they have their own mind they are not for the inexperienced occasional user. just wish did not have to take the Square chains to Enumclaw when they need ground to keep them square.local Stihl Dealer sold his grinder for them.

Thanks for the advice.

Had the MS261 bind up a little yesterday, but there wasn't any significant kickback. I can usually watch the gap in the wood and tell when it is closing, so I lay off the throttle.

Is it not possible for me to sharpen the RSC chain with Stihl's electric grinder? What about the RMC chain. I am thinking about buying either the Stihl grinder or the Oregon grinder. My local dealer charges $15 per chain to sharpen them. Between mine and my dad's chains, I will probably sharpen 3 or 4 chains a year, maybe more. So, even if I get the $200 setup it will pay for itself in a couple of years, not to mention the gas to drive out to the local dealer and the convenience of being able to do it right here at home.

Guess I am going to take the walk to the basement and look at the RSC chain on the 660 and the RMC chain on the 261.

/ What are you paying for Stihl chain? #35  
If .325 RMC RSC same file, If 3/8 RSC RMC same file. .325 and 3/8 take different files.

I went with the stihl USG grinder because I got tired of guys bringing totally rocked out chains and I only get $5 a piece up to a 20"

Hand file and you will be way ahead too. Just dont wait till your chains are trashed before touch ups.

/ What are you paying for Stihl chain? #36  
If .325 RMC RSC same file, If 3/8 RSC RMC same file. .325 and 3/8 take different files.

I went with the stihl USG grinder because I got tired of guys bringing totally rocked out chains and I only get $5 a piece up to a 20"

Hand file and you will be way ahead too. Just dont wait till your chains are trashed before touch ups.

Are you sure??

I am not saying you are wrong, because I dont know the stihl chain lettering system, but I thought the 3/8 RSC was the FULL comp chisel chain that takes the larger 7/32" file. And I also thought the 3/8 RMC was the smaller lo-profile 3/8 chain that takes a tad smaller file. 3/16 of 5/32????? But again, I may be wrong

/ What are you paying for Stihl chain? #38  
   / What are you paying for Stihl chain? #39  
I have a nice Oregon electric chain saw sharpener. Having said that, what works much better and what I prefer to use is the Husqvarna Combo Roller Filing Guide for 3/8" chain and 13/64" round files. Cost you around $25 for the guide and a dozen files at Bailey's. In 5 or so minutes, you have a nice sharp chain.

Ken

/ What are you paying for Stihl chain? #40  
We do loops at about 1. per inch and we currently have the second chain at 1/2 price as well.

We do like the semi chisel and our customers rave about it for overall performance year around.

Now for those of you that need to pull eight times. It is hard to find a Stihl product that doesn't start when cold on the third pull if it has been run in the pst week!

Two pulls with the choke on and they should have fired, running on the third pull..

If they don't start at that you have a problem.

High test gas that is fresh is a must with the ethanol and you should be fine.