Rotary Cutter What brand of rotary cutter?

/ What brand of rotary cutter? #21  
I didn't think the Squeeler was a medium duty unit.

I've had a Woods MD72 (72" Medium Duty) for ten years. Very good unit.

Replacement blades? In ten years and hundreds of acres mowed (including large saplings and more than a couple of rocks (mower wins, rocks lose), I've only sharpened the Woods blades twice. Brush mowers are not supposed to be "sharp" and don't need to be sharpened like finish mowers.

Ken

Not everyone lives in the midwest where there are no (or few) rocks. In many areas, here included, the rocks win regardless of cutter brand. And some folks expect a reasonable cut quality that demands the leading edge of the blade be straight and a little sharper than the trailing edge. Woods blades are actually pretty sharp from the factory. A razor edge is not required or desirable.
I need more explanation of why checking the cost of replacement parts prior to a machine's purchase is a bad idea.

/ What brand of rotary cutter? #22  
chilly
The Frontier's just like the Land Pride's are made in Kansas. They are not Chinese made at all....... Bull

/ What brand of rotary cutter? #23  
Not everyone lives in the midwest where there are no (or few) rocks

LOL. We grow crops of rocks here too. Maybe not as bad as some areas, but there are enough rocks that the original settlers (1820) on our farm built fences out of them.

Ken

/ What brand of rotary cutter? #24  
I think there is no finer cutter than a Brown. I think mine is about 20 years old. A little surface rust, but it doesn't have any paint left on it either. It is all original, except blades and is very robust. The new ones are even better. And the prices seem about the same to the others. It may be hard to find a dealer in your area though.

I like Bush Hog brand stuff too.

/ What brand of rotary cutter? #25  
From my years of equipment dealing, man that bushhog is the toughest I think, I just redone a bushhog that was 15 years old, sanded it down primed it and painted it red, never sharpened the blades or done any work to the gear box. This mower had been abused, the "A" frame and the tailwheel was bent, but tough cutter, my dad has a bushhog thats anywhere from 15 to 20 years old.

Attachments

• Photo_121809_001.jpg
    Photo_121809_001.jpg
    423.9 KB · Views: 123
  • bushhog with primer.jpg
    bushhog with primer.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 114
  • Photo_122109_008.jpg
    Photo_122109_008.jpg
    342.7 KB · Views: 119
  • Photo_122409_013.jpg
    Photo_122409_013.jpg
    398.2 KB · Views: 171
   / What brand of rotary cutter? #26  
Dirtguy, the redo looks good and you've impoved it's structural integrity greatly.

But what's up with the big honkin' tool box on the back of the tractor? Doesn't that thing get seriously in the way.....?

/ What brand of rotary cutter? #27  
Dirtguy, the redo looks good and you've impoved it's structural integrity greatly.

But what's up with the big honkin' tool box on the back of the tractor? Doesn't that thing get seriously in the way.....?

It is temporary, I am looking for a smaller diamond plated one, handy though, pins, chains, hammer, everything fits in that box, thanks for the compliment though, design that "A" frame set up myself, and I stiff armed the cutter from the hitch to the tailwheel instead of the chain (flexible yoke) that it came with.

/ What brand of rotary cutter? #28  
I like my Land Pride. Go look at 'em. You can see the difference.

/ What brand of rotary cutter? #29  
Really you can not go wrong with any of the preimum brands. I would stay away from anything King Kutter. I have been down that road and it was junk. I currently have a older Ford 5' that is very stout.

Chris