What can i weld with a Licoln Electric 115v welder?

/ What can i weld with a Licoln Electric 115v welder? #21  
Having said that you have been rubbing off on me with your saying (paraphrased)"most mig welds look good but are too cold"

I have been turning up the heat more as of late.
Good for you:thumbsup:! Cold Mig welds is one subject that will get me up on my soap box. I've said it a thousand times, and here we go again RUN MIG AS HOT AS YOU CAN HANDLE IT!

FYI: That was run with a 450-amp machine.;)

/ What can i weld with a Licoln Electric 115v welder? #22  
I'll go against the grain and say I wouldnt be the least bit scared to run it with a 120v machine...provided it is at least 110A or better. If it is the 85A version......I wouldnt do it.

But even if you had a 220v machine, there is still no guarentee you will get a better weld. Its all in your personal abilities.

I agree that you should weld a few peices and break them and see.

With MIG, leave a slight gap between parts and you will burn in better. Dont but them up perfectally tight.

If you want to weld thicker stuff and stay under a grand, you need a stick welder.

/ What can i weld with a Licoln Electric 115v welder? #23  
Thicker stuff under a grand? Stick welder, or used larger mig, like a 250 class machine. I just bought a new Millermatic 252. A small "large" machine. Migs are expensive due to all the parts inside, motors, circuit boards etc etc. all cost money.

Heres a MINT 250x being sold by a reputable seller. $1100. Typically used machines are 1/2 of new. Millermatic 250X MIG Welder For Sale. - WeldingWeb™ - Welding forum for pros and enthusiasts

A phrase I read on another forum really sticks here :" you cant use amps you didnt pay for"

/ What can i weld with a Licoln Electric 115v welder?
Stick is fine with me, I don't care if its a mig or not. Are there any particular stick models that are popular and a good "value"?

/ What can i weld with a Licoln Electric 115v welder? #25  
Stick is fine with me, I don't care if its a mig or not. Are there any particular stick models that are popular and a good "value"?

Oh, boy... here goes....I am very satisfied with my PA160 from Everlast.. That particular model is no longer available. but the PA200 is. In my opinion a good value for the money. 5 year warranty.. get hold of Mark on this board from Everlast, and he will cut you a discount for being a TBN member. Now Some on here will call me names for suggesting you buy an Everlast, but I have had mine for about 3 years now, and so far it has worked well for me. It is made in China.. I say again it is a Chinese welder and that does not set well with some on here.
you can click here if you like. You asked, and I posted.

James K0UA

/ What can i weld with a Licoln Electric 115v welder? #26  
Any of the under $200 AC machines on c-list. Like the lincoln tombstones or miller thunderbolts.

Add another $100 and you will likely get one that is AC/DC.

Now these are the absolute TOP prices for one in mint condition. Often the AC only versions can be had under $100, and the AC/DC can be had from time to time in the 200-250 range

/ What can i weld with a Licoln Electric 115v welder? #27  
All of the 115v migs seem to go up in amperage numbers every couple of years. The Lincoln SP 100 came out in the 80's and they called it a 100 amp. The plate on the machine said max output 85 amps. Now they have evolved up to 140's..Out put is still 85 amps. Same with the Millers. Without Power factor correction you can't get more than 85-90 amps out of a 20 amp 115v. circuit. look at some of the Millers like the 210. The max output is 160 amps. When you buy, Look at the rated output not the goofy number painted on the front of the machine. Good Luck.

/ What can i weld with a Licoln Electric 115v welder? #28  
Good for you:thumbsup:! Cold Mig welds is one subject that will get me up on my soap box. I've said it a thousand times, and here we go again RUN MIG AS HOT AS YOU CAN HANDLE IT!

FYI: That was run with a 450-amp machine.;)

Tell you what, I was welding 1/8" angle to 1/8" 2x3 tubing and needed to turn the heat up by one and the wire speed down by one from 'the chart' just to get a decent penetration.. So I believe ya.

Of course, the old Lincoln 3-phase welder at where I worked works just where it want to be set. In fact, you tell it the wire type, wire dia, gas type, type and thickness of material being welded, and it sets the volts, amp and speed automatically. Love that old thing.. :) Wish something like that could be incorporated for us home/hobby types..

/ What can i weld with a Licoln Electric 115v welder? #29  
Tell you what, I was welding 1/8" angle to 1/8" 2x3 tubing and needed to turn the heat up by one and the wire speed down by one from 'the chart' just to get a decent penetration.. So I believe ya.

Of course, the old Lincoln 3-phase welder at where I worked works just where it want to be set. In fact, you tell it the wire type, wire dia, gas type, type and thickness of material being welded, and it sets the volts, amp and speed automatically. Love that old thing.. :) Wish something like that could be incorporated for us home/hobby types..

It's called Miller auto-set...

/ What can i weld with a Licoln Electric 115v welder? #30  
What model old Lincoln is this that sets all the parameters for you? For 3/4" plate, you won't find a MIG under a grand unless it's well used. With stick you'd want to burn at least 5/32" and preferably 3/16" rods so a machine like a used Lincoln Idealarc 250 or Miller Dial-Arc 250 would be a good choice. Make sure to DC. It is night and day better! You could also look at a new inverter but would want a 200 amp or better.