What Causes Fishtailing?

/ What Causes Fishtailing? #51  
In my experience, hot tires usually are from underinflation, but they surely would heat more with more load. I check them frequently too, especially when loaded heavy.

/ What Causes Fishtailing? #52  
Equalizing shackles definitely help. They cannot compensate perfectly, but they're a tool that improves the situation. I dislike all the torsion axle trailers I've used because they don't have any equalizing ability. The only adjustments available are hitch height (fairly limited) and load positioning on the trailer (sometimes little to no variation available).

Torsion axles have some appeal in other ways, but for the widely variable loads I tow in shape, size, and weight I prefer equalizing shackles and leaf springs. Since it's easier to get proper load distribution with leaf springs that type of trailer tends to tow better for me, too. Something like a boat trailer, with the same load in the same place every time is a good candidate for torsion springs in my view.

/ What Causes Fishtailing? #53  
Actually torsion axles on boat trailers stink. They were a fad in the late 90's till about 2002 or so. I would say tire blow outs were 5 to 1 on torsion equipped trailers.

The issue with a boat is while it may be the same load each time what people put in them is not. Fuel on a 23' boat I just sold could weigh anywhere from 0# if empty to 750# if full. Water tank could be 300# plus or minus. Same thing with the holding tank.

Give me regular axles any day of the week, torsions stink.

Chris

/ What Causes Fishtailing? #54  
Diamondpilot, that's a good observation. The barefoot ski boat on a torsion axle trailer I've had experience with only weighs a little bit more than the full fuel and water tanks you mentioned. The weight is quite constant and doesn't vary that much. The fuel tanks are directly over the axles, as is the passenger and storage compartments of the boat.

The trailer has been no trouble at all, and pulls great, no flats or anything. And, the whole load hardly weighs anything, and is optimized to that. It's a particular situation that the torsion axles work well for, but they aren't really better than leaf springs would be. The only "benefit" is the springs aren't squeaky.

/ What Causes Fishtailing? #55  
They sure ride rice though!

/ What Causes Fishtailing? #56  
They sure ride rice though!

They do, and its a great idea but they just have no way to equalize the load like a conventional setup. Single axle trailer they would be great.

Chris

/ What Causes Fishtailing? #57  
Great thread, I think I learned some things.

What about the towing vehicles tires. I remember riding in a truck 30 years ago and we blamed the tires sidewalls at that time for a lot of the problems we were having that day. I don't know about other brands but my Ford 150 came with tires rated for passenger cars instead of trucks.

Just wondering what the quality of tire plays in fishtailing?

Dan

/ What Causes Fishtailing? #58  
Great thread, I think I learned some things.

What about the towing vehicles tires. I remember riding in a truck 30 years ago and we blamed the tires sidewalls at that time for a lot of the problems we were having that day. I don't know about other brands but my Ford 150 came with tires rated for passenger cars instead of trucks.

Just wondering what the quality of tire plays in fishtailing?

Dan

Tires do play a part of it. I always go to some of the tire sites and read up on what I am buying. Its time for my neighbors 3rd set on his Dmax and the last set of Goodyears seemed to be soft. Sidewall stiffness is a big factor when you are towing 50% or more of the time and pulling something like a 14,000# camper.

Chris

/ What Causes Fishtailing? #60  
I notice sidewall stiffness mattering more for the tow vehicle than the trailer with respect to fishtailing/trailer sway. Lifted vehicles, especially with tall tires, wobble more under influence from the trailer, and can induce sway. Electric brakes are nice, a quick tap bringing the trailer back in line with the tow vehicle.