Chains What chains to buy for snow?

/ What chains to buy for snow? #1  

keony

Silver Member
Tractor
New Holland TC29DA
What kind of chains do you all use?
Any good sources?
Mainly for plowing a hilly gravel driveway, thanks.

/ What chains to buy for snow? #3  
Whistlepig nailed it! There ya go, put your order in, no more discussion needed :)

I haven't bought Aqualine Talons yet ONLY because I have to drive down the road very often.

/ What chains to buy for snow? #4  
You need to order chains quickly. It 'tis the season.

/ What chains to buy for snow? #5  
I have the aquiline MPC tire chains, but I have some asphalt and needed a little less aggressive chain. As said, you need to order now.

/ What chains to buy for snow? #6  
Too late on the aquiline MPC's. They are already sold out. but the aquiline Talons are available, and that is probably what you want if you are all gravel.

/ What chains to buy for snow? #7  
I use the Aquiline Talons on gravel. They work very well on gravel.

/ What chains to buy for snow? #8  
Does anyone use the Talon's on pavement? As in, just transiting down the road or your own driveway (if paved)?

I want something aggressive for the woods, as long as it doesn't kill my driveway (which is far from perfect anyways)

I almost ordered the MPC's last year but wasn't sure how much of an upgrade they'd be over my ladder chains.

/ What chains to buy for snow? #9  
I bought my first two sets of ladder H type chains from 301 Moved Permanently. They were priced right and worked. My only complaint was ride quality was horrible due to the pattern of the chain. On my Kubota L4240 I am running a Trygg chain which is similar to Talon. I really like the tires on my gravel driveway for snow clearing. They work great on ice and in the woods all summer in deep mud near ledge.

Everyone is right to order now to have the best selection.

amike

/ What chains to buy for snow? #10  
Pick your price. I have Aquiline Talons. Worth every penny. If you are going to buy chains buy them soon. If you wait much longer the suppliers will be sold out until next year.

Tire Chains For ATV, Snow Blower, Tractor, Truck & SUV | Where to get tire chains? - Tire Chains Required

*cringes looking at the link and more so picture*

many states it is illegal to run chains on the regular road. doesn't mater if truck, car, even tractors. some states "extreme northern and into canada" only allow them at certain times of the year. double check ya local laws.

keep the chains loose. allows the chain to spread out in more of a ( vs | shape as the tire rolls over it. creating a much wider area of grip. also it lets mud that will get packed in the grove of tires and chains to fall out. so ya don't end up with a balled tire look (pure mud tire) that is slipping in mud. and it helps keep the chain from being lost within the treads of the tire.

tire chains.png

if you wanted paddle wheels, then they would make metal flat bars that would wrap around our tires. but they make chains that are flexible. is there a reason for it beyond allowing a chain to fit multi size tires?

let the tire tread and chain contact the ground, and not holding the tire off the ground via the chain thickness