What did I do wrong???

/ What did I do wrong??? #31  
Good rule of thumb, anything that produces slag, drag the gun. With Mig, (bare wire gas coverage) push the gun.

Dragging the gun: When holding the gun in your right hand, start at your far left and move to your right.

Pushing the gun: When holding the gun in your right hand, start on the far right and move to your left.
PushorPull.jpg

Shield,
Thanks for the excellent advice you're giving here. Good stuff indeed.

/ What did I do wrong???
Here are some new pic's of my two welders...I just noticed something I didn't notice before....it reads CORE/PAK on the front....so this is only a Flux core welder.....also the pics are much clearer now..... only now the flash from the camera reflecs off the shiny red paint of the welder :D....Ampa

Attachments

• DSCF5123.jpg
    DSCF5123.jpg
    836.8 KB · Views: 140
  • DSCF5113.jpg
    DSCF5113.jpg
    1,003 KB · Views: 130
  • DSCF5120.jpg
    DSCF5120.jpg
    717.1 KB · Views: 125
  • DSCF5119.jpg
    DSCF5119.jpg
    987.8 KB · Views: 117
  • DSCF5116.jpg
    DSCF5116.jpg
    1,022.9 KB · Views: 142
  • DSCF5114.jpg
    DSCF5114.jpg
    997.4 KB · Views: 120
  • DSCF5115.jpg
    DSCF5115.jpg
    1,000.2 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
   / What did I do wrong??? #34  
I always used to drag the bare wire,passed bend and tensile tests that way,so,,guess it depends on what your used to doing,uphill or down hill,,you can't push downhill,,well,,not advisable anyways.

/ What did I do wrong??? #35  
Here are some new pic's of my two welders...I just noticed something I didn't notice before....it reads CORE/PAK on the front....so this is only a Flux core welder.....also the pics are much clearer now..... only now the flash from the camera reflecs off the shiny red paint of the welder :D....Ampa
Two things.
If that is where your knobs were set then you need to turn up the wire feed (left knob)to 7 or 8 and see how it is doing, the power is already at max on "E". A quick search didn't turn up much in the way of info so I couldn't find the settings chart but the max for this machine is listed as 1/4 inch so what you should be welding this material at near the maximum settings. See what the chart for your machine says to set it at.
Also make sure the polarity is set correctly. If it was for some reason set for gas from the factory then the polarity needs be reversed for flux core. The manual will tell you how to do it if it is possible to change it.
Just found the manual.
Here is a link, look on page 14 for the polarity info.
http://content.lincolnelectric.com//pdfs/products/navigator/im/IM891.pdf

Last edited:
   / What did I do wrong??? #36  
Two things.
If that is where your knobs were set then you need to turn up the wire feed (left knob)to 7 or 8 and see how it is doing, the power is already at max on "E". A quick search didn't turn up much in the way of info so I couldn't find the settings chart but the max for this machine is listed as 1/4 inch so what you should be welding this material at near the maximum settings. See what the chart for your machine says to set it at.
Also make sure the polarity is set correctly. If it was for some reason set for gas from the factory then the polarity needs be reversed for flux core. The manual will tell you how to do it if it is possible to change it.
Just found the manual.
Here is a link, look on page 14 for the polarity info.
http://content.lincolnelectric.com//pdfs/products/navigator/im/IM891.pdf

Having a bit of experience with the small lincoln welders, 7-8 will not work. These machines can be configured for several uses and different type wires. 7-8 will be way to fast for .035 flux core...

/ What did I do wrong??? #37  
Having a bit of experience with the small lincoln welders, 7-8 will not work. These machines can be configured for several uses and different type wires. 7-8 will be way to fast for .035 flux core...

I was just going from my experience on my Hobart 180. I know that it won't handle wide open on the wire speed but it certainly needs to be more than the 2 or 3 that is is in the pictures. Again the chart will get close and experience will fine tune.

/ What did I do wrong??? #38  
I also move the gun in a weaving motion as in from left to right when pulling it towards you. Thats what leaves that purty looking weld. zman :cool:

/ What did I do wrong??? #39  
Ampa,

Years ago while trying to strike arcs with stick welders, the best jumpstart to welder training for me was watching someone else welding while they were drawing a bead......

Having them weld and you watching from behind (with your own shield) have them talk and explain what they are doing in real time, this will give you the view and perspective of what is expected for visibility.....one of the problems of learning is "What's it suppose to look like while you are welding"......

Also, get used to practicing before you weld the real thing (as others have said)......Controlling the puddle is the most important task.....

Worked for me, that was over thirty years ago......Wow, I'm old....:(

/ What did I do wrong??? #40  
I was just going from my experience on my Hobart 180. I know that it won't handle wide open on the wire speed but it certainly needs to be more than the 2 or 3 that is is in the pictures. Again the chart will get close and experience will fine tune.
I'm confused... why do you guys say 0.035 flux core won't handle wide open on the wire speed?