What did you say???

/ What did you say??? #1  

copperhead1967

Silver Member
Tractor
kubota BX22, Cub ZForce S 48 inch deck
Ok, got the voice mail from tha Kubota dealer that my BX22 was fixed. I called them back and asked what the bill would be. The nice lady said $4585.
I said "excuse me"??? "Who authorized that ? I was quoted $2700".
She says let me get your file. I said fine.
I asked if any other parts where needed and she said "No, just the Hydrostatic unit ($1500) the rest is labor". "It took 38 hours to swap the hydro". She then proceeded to quote a long list of parts that needed removed to complete the repair.( I've torn the tractor down to almost the halfway point of the repair to change the hydro cooling fan AND put it back together in around 4 hours myself.) And that was after a few pesky carraige bolts where removed.
I've seen post here with other owners completing the swap in 11 or so hours. WT* gives here?
Oh, and to top it off Bob the mechanic who quoted me the repair "no longer works for them". I can see why if it takes him that long to do what a novice can do in 11 hours.
I have to call back tomorrow when the owners in.......... stay tuned because this is going to be good.

Anyone have a shop rate labor manual or know where I can find one for Kubota?:mad:

/ What did you say??? #2  
In 38 hours you could tear it down and hand fabricate the parts as you put it back together. Something is VERY wrong. That repair alone is half the value of the entire machine. I'm anxious to hear your outcome.

/ What did you say??? #3  
Wait to talk to the owner and tell him you were quotes $2700. Hopefully they will either show why the $2700 was wrong or will honor the price.

/ What did you say??? #4  
I generally try to get a written quote for that kind of stuff, it's nice to have something to lay on the counter when this happens.

Sean

/ What did you say???
In 38 hours you could tear it down and hand fabricate the parts as you put it back together. Something is VERY wrong. That repair alone is half the value of the entire machine. I'm anxious to hear your outcome.

My thoughts exactly.

Machine is probably worth 7-9 K. As it sat it was a useless hulk of metal in the yard. So a $2700 one time expense on a paid off tractor or 15K for a new one with a payment book = pay the $2700.

My thought process with the 2700 estimate was this....1500 parts, 1200 labor and some sort of guaranteed repair from the shop.......vs..... me doing work, 1500 parts and no guarantee it would fix the issue = have shop do work.

My thoughts on the 4500 repair would be .....1500 parts, I do the repairs and still have 3000 for other parts that may need fixed.

Not once was I called about the labor running into excessive overrun. Now if they would have called and said they found part xyz was bad too and it cost xxx to replace I'd have made an educated decision. But to find out no additional parts where needed and the mechanic no longer works there.... all sorts of red flags go up.

I figure two thing happened....the tranny wasn't bad and they needed additional parts and don't want to admit it.... or they are having me pay for Bob's "last mistake".

/ What did you say??? #6  
Most shops I deal with have some boilerplate in their "wild A guestimate" that says if the cost is going to be more than x% more call. And X is often 10%. Did you have anything like that?

/ What did you say??? #7  
Oh, and to top it off Bob the mechanic who quoted me the repair "no longer works for them". I can see why if it takes him that long to do what a novice can do in 11 hours.
Nah ..... Bob probably knew his stuff and was the one was that was going to do it ...... the really scary thing is: who the heck did they replace him with ? (.... and was the goober that was working on your tractor .... :confused:)

/ What did you say??? #9  
I've had a Kubota shop quote me a price and then charge me many times more than the quote. I try not to deal with them anymore than I have to. My tractor came without a ROPS many years ago so I had them put one on recently. The parts ended up double what they quoted and the labor (as they put it - a 15 minute job) was for 3 hours! :mad: And to top it all off, two of the bolts are stripped and the rest were not even finger tight!!!!!! This is the 1st time I've had them actually do work on my tractor and it will be the last time as well!

/ What did you say???
Nah ..... Bob probably knew his stuff and was the one was that was going to do it ...... the really scary thing is: who the heck did they replace him with ? (.... and was the goober that was working on your tractor .... :confused:)

You know I never thought of it that way....maybe Bob was not making them enough money...... so he had to go......bet Bobs replacement is employee of the month after this job.

No written estimate, my mistake, maybe ....but the way it works is you drop off the tractor and they call you when they diagnose the problem. I remember years ago dealing with a major repair on something and they wouldn't start work until I signed Their estimate to keep everything on the up and up. this time no paperwork was signed and only a verbal between me and Bob. So guess it boils down to this .... What idiot would spend 5 K to fix a 7-9K tractor???? Must be me....