What Do I Charge for Tractor Work?

/ What Do I Charge for Tractor Work? #1  

Travis_R

Veteran Member
Tractor
'98 MASSEY FERGUSON 231
Didn't know where else to post this topic. Hopefully it's the appropriate forum...

I'm in South Louisiana and was wondering what I should charge for bush hogging, repairing gravel driveways, and spreading dirt? Also, right before deer season I could bush hog and disk food plots for people. What should I charge?

I have a 38 hp Massey Ferguson 2 wheel drive tractor (with no front end loader), a 5' medium duty Bush Hog, 5.5' grader box, and a 6.5' set of gang disks.

I MUST be fair to people and WILL give them the work they pay for. But it takes money to keep and maintain equipment also.

What is the "going rate" down here?

Thank You!

Last edited:
   / What Do I Charge for Tractor Work? #2  
   / What Do I Charge for Tractor Work? #3  
Don't forget to calculate your transporting costs (loading and unloading the trailer...jobsite to jobsite fuel and time) when bidding a job.

/ What Do I Charge for Tractor Work? #4  
If you don't already have it, you may want to buy some liability insurance. People are sue happy nowadays.

/ What Do I Charge for Tractor Work? #5  
Didn't know where else to post this topic. Hopefully it's the appropriate forum...

I'm in South Louisiana and was wondering what I should charge for bush hogging, repairing gravel driveways, and spreading dirt? Also, right before deer season I could bush hog and disk food plots for people. What should I charge?

Thank You!

I think you should charge $10 per hour if I am paying you.:D

/ What Do I Charge for Tractor Work? #6  
I live in the northeast and have a BX25.I put an ad on craigslist and have gotten a lot of jobs through it. I charge $320 a day with a $200 min. I do mostly clearing brush,leveling for pools or patios and some stump digging,to a certain size.I listed it as a small tractor that will fit through a 5ft.opening and that it has turf tires,so it will be easy on existing lawns. I've picked up quite a few jobs just from word of mouth from others I did work for. I hope this helped.

/ What Do I Charge for Tractor Work? #7  
I get a $45 per hour +$2.00 a mile for transport. Tractor,loader,bush hog.

/ What Do I Charge for Tractor Work?
WOW! Thanks for the replies fellas. I haven't been on my computer for a couple days, sorry for the delayed response...

I know I need insurance, but haven't got any business yet. Once I get enough I'll definately get the insurance. Do you think it's better to charge by the hour or by the job? I told somebody the other day that I charge by the job.

What would you charge to bush hog 10 acres of pasture that's about 2 ft. high with some trees to go around, that's about 15 miles away?

Again, Thanks for the replies!

/ What Do I Charge for Tractor Work? #9  
With my BX24, I was charging $50/hour and I've kept that rate with my B3030. I charge by the hour or part, simply because it's sometimes difficult to determine how long the job is going to take until you're into it. Ballpark numbers are available if asked, but I stress it's ballpark.
When factoring transport, the charge clock starts from the moment I leave my house (ie: 1/2 hour to get there costs $25). I figure that covers fuel and time fairly well.
As previously mentioned, get insurance asap. Talk to your insurance broker and tell him what your doing. If they don't understand, go somewhere else and get a quote.
And finally, good luck - paid seat time is best :thumbsup:

/ What Do I Charge for Tractor Work? #10  
I estimate net cost to be $50 per hour. When bushing have got into on wagon frames, harrows, chopped up concrete blocks. Now if you do the same place over and over it is different.