What do I look for in used tractor?

/ What do I look for in used tractor? #1  

Nick Danger

Tractor
58 560 D
Looking at some B3350HSDC units and am wondering which years to stay away from as far as any tier 3 or tier 4 issues. From what little I read, the early years were problematic...although to what degree, I don't know...

Besides AG tires, a bucket and cab w/ heater, what should I be looking for as far as extras?

Pricing sure seems to be all over the place, like 15k swing for similar models...is this normal? Is there a way to find out how much the unit sold for new?

thx!

/ What do I look for in used tractor? #2  
In general, now is not the time to buy used unless you are only interested in models or features that are no longer in production. Due to limited availability of new equipment, used prices are approaching new ones. Personally, I would be wary of a low priced used right now unless I knew the seller pretty well. To me, that screams 'problem'. I know there may be exceptions, just my admittedly cautious approach.

/ What do I look for in used tractor? #3  
Looking at some B3350HSDC units and am wondering which years to stay away from as far as any tier 3 or tier 4 issues. From what little I read, the early years were problematic...although to what degree, I don't know...

Besides AG tires, a bucket and cab w/ heater, what should I be looking for as far as extras?

Pricing sure seems to be all over the place, like 15k swing for similar models...is this normal? Is there a way to find out how much the unit sold for new?

thx!

I personally would not consider ANY of the B3350's. While there were several computer updates, I don't believe Kubota ever resolved the emissions issues on that model, and it was discontinued.
Some owners never had a problem, but a little reading will reveal that this model was never made reliable for a large number of owners. I was tractor shopping in 2016 and the B3350 was immediately off my list.

/ What do I look for in used tractor? #4  
Is there a way to find out how much the unit sold for new?
Tractor Data dot Com is a good place to find model info on the major brands. They typically list original price but lack prices for accessories. And the price is usually for the beginning model year. If you want to compare prices, Tractor House dot Com typically has dealer and auction listings for models you search for. You can also sequence the list nearest your zip code.

/ What do I look for in used tractor?
I personally would not consider ANY of the B3350's. While there were several computer updates, I don't believe Kubota ever resolved the emissions issues on that model, and it was discontinued.
Some owners never had a problem, but a little reading will reveal that this model was never made reliable for a large number of owners. I was tractor shopping in 2016 and the B3350 was immediately off my list.

the B3350 was made thru 2019...So, do you think it's the 4 cyl configuration vs the 3 cyl? Or is it specific to the 3350 series? If so, then can anyone steer me to a comparable model?

I was on their site looking at the L series, but no cabs...so now looking at the LX series...

/ What do I look for in used tractor? #6  
Are you keeping your 560 and attachments? That's a heavy machine so I would think you might want something a bit bigger - like the Kubota L3560-4060 size with a Cab.

I agree with the others stay away from the 3350 series.

/ What do I look for in used tractor? #7  
the B3350 was made thru 2019...So, do you think it's the 4 cyl configuration vs the 3 cyl? Or is it specific to the 3350 series? If so, then can anyone steer me to a comparable model?

I was on their site looking at the L series, but no cabs...so now looking at the LX series...

It was limited to the B3350 and possibly the ZD1511 mower. Both were 4 cylinders, but I believe the issue was a computer controlled manually injected engine. I could be wrong about that though.

If the LX series was in production when I bought I would have gone with the LX3310. I ended up in an L4060 HSTC, which is a few steps up from the LX3310. Great tractor.

Are you keeping your 560 and attachments? That's a heavy machine so I would think you might want something a bit bigger - like the Kubota L3560-4060 size with a Cab.

I agree with the others stay away from the 3350 series.
My plan is to sell the 560 as I am looking to get something smaller...as I get older, the 560 seems to be getting taller...While I do love its fortitude, my uses are rotary mowing the 4 acre pasture, blow snow and grade my 2/10 mile long drive with an addl circle and between buildings, load manure for the neighbor and haul off the occasional tree...yes, it does make small work of everything, but a technology upgrade would be nice

With a limited number of shopping days, I'm also looking to the future that the wife can handle...the 560? I won't let her touch it...hell, I can barely keep it tame...lol

On a side note, what CAT size are on the L's? Everything for the 560 is CAT 2 (I believe) so not sure if I go to a CAT 1, will it be enough to handle...

thanks for the insite!

It was limited to the B3350 and possibly the ZD1511 mower. Both were 4 cylinders, but I believe the issue was a computer controlled manually injected engine. I could be wrong about that though.

If the LX series was in production when I bought I would have gone with the LX3310. I ended up in an L4060 HSTC, which is a few steps up from the LX3310. Great tractor.
Great! This is the information I'm looking for...In conversation about a 3350 with a guy in Tennessee. He mentioned something about this unit's emissions in colder climates. So I did ask him specifically if it was tied to the unit and Tier 4. Hoping to get some more clarification from him as well...

Thanks!

/ What do I look for in used tractor? #10  

thx!
Do not touch a B3350 with a 10 foot pole. It is one of the few Kubota tractors that was a near lemon. The Tier 4 emissions in this small of a tractor was not well designed in this first iteration, and it showed. Multiple CSBs, dealers confused and in many cases ended up refusing to sell that model tractor outright because of the headache of troubleshooting emissions issues.

Kubota discontinued the model and came out with the LX3310 in 2019-2020, which is basically the same machine but with updated engine/emissions system. I have not heard of any issues with the LX3310. The LX series is the new B50 series. LX2610 is the old B2650. LX3310 is the old B3350. Identical frames, mostly the same features. A few incremental updates for the updated models.

Avoid the B3350.

Last edited: