What do I look for in used tractor?

/ What do I look for in used tractor? #11  
Look for shedded.

Look for an old guy who bought it new and put 88hrs, and 6 oil changes through it in 5 years.

That approach has worked for me. The 75hp and below units 50/50 end up being yard decorations. I do 300hrs a year even at that pace it will be a decade, and electric tractor time before I wear out my “used” tractor.

/ What do I look for in used tractor?
Do not touch a B3350 with a 10 foot pole. It is one of the few Kubota tractors that was a near lemon. The Tier 4 emissions in this small of a tractor was not well designed in this first iteration, and it showed. Multiple CSBs, dealers confused and in many cases ended up refusing to sell that model tractor outright because of the headache of troubleshooting emissions issues.

Kubota discontinued the model and came out with the LX3310 in 2019-2020, which is basically the same machine but with updated engine/emissions system. I have not heard of any issues with the LX3310. The LX series is the new B50 series. LX2610 is the old B2650. LX3310 is the old B3350. Identical frames, mostly the same features. A few incremental updates for the updated models.

Avoid the B3350.
thanks!

Look for shedded.

Look for an old guy who bought it new and put 88hrs, and 6 oil changes through it in 5 years.

That approach has worked for me. The 75hp and below units 50/50 end up being yard decorations. I do 300hrs a year even at that pace it will be a decade, and electric tractor time before I wear out my “used” tractor.
Old guy? Hmmm, that could be me...lol

THanks for the advice!

/ What do I look for in used tractor? #14  
Great! This is the information I'm looking for...In conversation about a 3350 with a guy in Tennessee. He mentioned something about this unit's emissions in colder climates. So I did ask him specifically if it was tied to the unit and Tier 4. Hoping to get some more clarification from him as well...

Thanks!

Hopefully you are not still considering the Tennessee B3350, but if you are, consider this :
There are plenty of B3350's that were specifically in warm climates that had problems and practically lived at the dealership. Kubota tried real hard to cram a BS narrative down owner's throats claiming cold weather and operator error by running them at too low RPMs.

/ What do I look for in used tractor? #15  
My plan is to sell the 560 as I am looking to get something smaller...as I get older, the 560 seems to be getting taller...While I do love its fortitude, my uses are rotary mowing the 4 acre pasture, blow snow and grade my 2/10 mile long drive with an addl circle and between buildings, load manure for the neighbor and haul off the occasional tree...yes, it does make small work of everything, but a technology upgrade would be nice

With a limited number of shopping days, I'm also looking to the future that the wife can handle...the 560? I won't let her touch it...hell, I can barely keep it tame...lol

On a side note, what CAT size are on the L's? Everything for the 560 is CAT 2 (I believe) so not sure if I go to a CAT 1, will it be enough to handle...

thanks for the insite!
The Kubota L5460HST (54HP) and up from there and are Cat 1 or Cat II 3PT compatible so you can use your existing implements which in your case is very important.

You should also consider a front grapple for trees and manure loading - but a set of tines on the loader is good for manure/straw mix. Then maybe a front plow vs the blower - but for 2/10 mile drive - you can do that with the loader/back blade.

All depends on where you live - do you get 120" snow. and your use cases.

/ What do I look for in used tractor? #16  
Not that I want one,but Kubota is offering a lifetime warranty on the emission system?
Will they still spend a lot of time in the shop?
Good Luck!

/ What do I look for in used tractor? #17  
The Kubota L5460HST (54HP) and up from there and are Cat 1 or Cat II 3PT compatible so you can use your existing implements which in your case is very important.

You should also consider a front grapple for trees and manure loading - but a set of tines on the loader is good for manure/straw mix. Then maybe a front plow vs the blower - but for 2/10 mile drive - you can do that with the loader/back blade.

The MX series also has a cat 2 hitch.

Hopefully you are not still considering the Tennessee B3350, but if you are, consider this :
There are plenty of B3350's that were specifically in warm climates that had problems and practically lived at the dealership. Kubota tried real hard to cram a BS narrative down owner's throats claiming cold weather and operator error by running them at too low RPMs.
Nope, he told me to steer clear of them...thx!

Problem being, the higher the model number, the higher the cost, then it becomes "does the cost warrant the upgrade"... to me, over 20k is a push, but for the right unit, I would go higher...since I don't have an operation to depreciate, I just can't justify over 30k...

I'd also like to downsize as the 560 is a beast size wise...a good 22' with bucket and blower...

Tines / grapple are good ideas...

Live in central MN, so yes, snow can be an issue as my driveway runs E/W with E exit and open pasture north side...years back we had a snowstorm in January. It left a couple of feet on the driveway and at the end where it dips down about 4' to the highway, it was 6' deep. I had a blade and bucket. I was on that thing for 9 hours in subzero temps with a 20 mph NW wind...needless to say, the following summer I purchased a blower and put a cab on. I also started to put up a 200' snow fence every year which minimizes the amount of snow at the end.

my neighbor has an 18hp with front blower that does an amazing job (depending upon depth and wetness...I'm assuming there are blowers for the high end of the cat 1 that would do even better...

/ What do I look for in used tractor? #20  
If the tires hold air. Start engine and pull lift handle up. If the lift raises, I'm ready to deal...