What do I look for when buying a used skid steer?

/ What do I look for when buying a used skid steer? #1  

defranks

Silver Member
Tractor
Branson 4220
I've been giving serious thought to the purchase of a used tracked skid steer for use on my own property. I own a small tractor that I used for most of my chores, but my property is heavily wooded and I'd like to be able to run a brush cutter in between the trees to open things up. There's enough slope here that I want to buy a tracked machine, though my wheeled four-wheel-drive tractor has never been stuck.
I'll be looking at well-used machines and I don't much care how it looks. But I don't want to be working on it every day and don't want to rebuild the engine or transmission.
So, for you experienced folks, what are the areas where I need to pay a lot of attention? I know to look for excessive smoke at start up, check for worn out pins and bushings, etc. I expect to take an oil sample and have it analyzed before any purchase. I'll want to see tracks with 33-50% of life left on them. What else? And thanks!

/ What do I look for when buying a used skid steer? #2  
I bought a used 2005 773 Bobcat yrs ago. First thing I look at is the hr meter. If it's high or not working I walk away. Next I look at the general condition and care of the machine. Signs of abuse or neglect are deal breakers. Mine was about 10 yrs old with 3500 hrs, all new filters, fluids, and tires. I have replaced the seat and a couple of hoses in the time I've had it. Right now I'm sitting on all new filters and oil waiting for a major service.
I used to use mine for manure handling but now it's mostly used for brush mowing. You can do most anything with a 4wd Tractor and SS on hand.

Attachments

• IMG_2933.JPG
    IMG_2933.JPG
    304.7 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3474.JPG
    IMG_3474.JPG
    271.2 KB · Views: 34
   / What do I look for when buying a used skid steer? #3  
Listen for how loud the hydraulic pump is when it's running and moving. If you can hear the pump whining without much load it's nearing the end of it's service life. Other than that overall condition of the machine can tell you if it's been abused. Mine is a wheeled New Holland I bought new in 2002. Tires and hoses have been my only repairs. It handled a blower, grapple and brush cutter just fine.

/ What do I look for when buying a used skid steer? #4  
Ask the owner/seller when was the last time that the final drives were serviced/oil changed , if they can't tell you that , beware, ask if the owner kept service records, like all used equipment purchase's it can be a shot in the dark.