What do I need to prep rusted pipe fence for paint

/ What do I need to prep rusted pipe fence for paint #1  

TxMN

Bronze Member
Tractor
2020 Kubota MX5400 HST, ROPS, 2020 Kubota RTV 900, 2020 Kubota RTV 500(wifeç—´ ride),
Recently purchased property that has a nice pipe entry, previous owner built it about 2 years back and never painted it. Is there any way I can prep the mildly rusted pipe to get a paint job that will look good and last. Any suggestions to best paint for this application is appreciated.

/ What do I need to prep rusted pipe fence for paint #2  
ideal... sandblast..enamel primer and good quality enamel equipment paint

/ What do I need to prep rusted pipe fence for paint #3  
Recently purchased property that has a nice pipe entry, previous owner built it about 2 years back and never painted it. Is there any way I can prep the mildly rusted pipe to get a paint job that will look good and last. Any suggestions to best paint for this application is appreciated.

OSPHO (Phosphoric Acid) as a primer, and a 2 part marine epoxy paint.

But, best would be....."Amerlok" (Ameron Corp.)which is a commercial 2 part epoxy coating, used on water towers and steel bridges.

/ What do I need to prep rusted pipe fence for paint #4  
POR 15. Best stuff I've ever used.

/ What do I need to prep rusted pipe fence for paint #6  
POR-15 is good stuff! However the one person is correct, it is not UV protected. But neither are mist rust convertors.
I would use a rust convertor as a base treatment to rust after having knocked of the worse of the rust with a wire brush.
I would follow this up with a self etching primer (this is not a common primer!) look for ‘self etching’ on the label!
Then your choice of paint. If you want the hard finish of an epoxy, go for it in your choice of color!
However it is my opinion that epoxy paint without prep will chip off!

/ What do I need to prep rusted pipe fence for paint
The rust is not that severe, none of it is flaking, not even close. Very mild rust, no build up. I was wondering if some solvent type treatment, apply and come back next day and paint. Can’t recall where I read or was told that, but most importantly can’t recall the specifics on the “solvent” material.Very nice entry to the property, can’t imagine leaving it like it is, would be very nice painted.
When you say rust converter, is there a brand or trade name, this is something I have zero experience with, but I believe it may on the right track to what I had in mind. Thanks.

/ What do I need to prep rusted pipe fence for paint #8  
Just quickly knock off loose rust with any method you want. Course sand paper, wire brush, ScotchBrite, etc. If not loose and minor just leave. Wipe with fast drying solvent. Paint with rusty metal primer such as Rust-oleum. When dry follow up with enamel of your choice compatable with primer. There are direct to metal paints that can be used on slightly rusted surfaces but I think they don't last as long.

For applying paint we would use a painters mit. Very fast method.

SmartSelect_20200917-161004_Chrome.jpg

SmartSelect_20200917-162119_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
   / What do I need to prep rusted pipe fence for paint #9  
also make sure the welds are well prepped.
Spoke the the chemist of GEM Rust Remover......converts the rust into an inert phospate......his procedure is remove light rust, coat with primer, use favorite paint.
Most common failure points are the welds.

So another point to take into consideration.....good luck with your project......and...lastly......gloves, google......

/ What do I need to prep rusted pipe fence for paint #10  
Try Black Star Rust Converter MROChem: We Have Your Chemical Solutions!
Can use just this with a pressure washing no wire brushing! This stuff needs no topcoat or apply your favorite color. Used on truck frame couple months back and waiting to see what the winter will do to it. Used on off shore oil rigs, so has to be pretty tough!