what do i need?

/ what do i need? #1  

dbharness

I have 3.3 acres. The lot is 160 ft wide by 890 long. the back 2 acres is very rough pasture and it is open. No trees or obstructions. The front 1.3 acres is mostly bermuda with a house, lots of trees down one side, etc. the fronts has two 1/4 acre open areas in front and behind the house. The front needs cutting every 4-6 days. The back pasture needs cutting every 6-10 days if i mow it with a finish mower.

I had a small 17hp craftsman riding mower. It was to rough and slow. Plus it bogs down in the pasture grass.

I tried out a cub cadet zero turn. It was fine on the bermuda, but was way to rough on the pasture.

I have a Kubota L2201 with a 60in king kutter finish mower. It is nice for the big open areas, but it tears up my turf and is difficult to stear around things. I have killed several small trees with it. The Kubota is old and requires a lot of maintanence. It doesnt have a front end loader either. It is good for mowing only. kind of a waist.

Ok. A zero turn is to rough, a small riding mower it to slow, my tractor is not just right.

Should i get a different tractor with turf tires and keep my king kutter.?It could then mow all and be easier on my turf. if i get one with a loader it can be more usefull. On the other hand i know many people with tractors. IF i need one i can borrow one. I rarely need a box blade or loader.

Should i get a nice riding mower with plenty of hp and the widest belly mower i can get?

should i keep my tractor and get a 4ft bushhog and just use it for the back and get a nice mower for the front. I think a tractor just to mow 2 acres every 3-4 weeks is a waist.

Should i get rid of the tractor get a nice mower for the front and get a swisher pull behind mower to speed up mowing the back.

or is there a better option?

thanks for any tips.

/ what do i need? #2  
I'm thinking keep your tractor, put turf tires on it and get a rotary cutter for the pasture. You could also keep your rider for the trimming and mowing that are in too small of areas for your tractor. That is how I do it here. Works out well and everything gets mowed pretty fast.

/ what do i need? #3  
I would say get rid of the two tractors you have and get a scut (Kubota bx, NH tz, JD 2305, Cub 5252, MF 2300) and keep the king cutter to mow (I’d think seriously about getting a belly mower for the front because they are much easier to maneuver around trees and in tight places plus you may get a deal with the tractor). Then you have a good base that should last a long time with the ability to add a fel, bb, rake, mid-deck or whatever implements you may want/need in the future with out having to rebuy.

/ what do i need? #4  
3 ac is harsh on a rider lawnmower.

Rough pasture and brush is difficult to cut with a gas powered towed mower.. I had a craftsman unit that did not do a very good job at all.. I sold it in disgust..

If you think owning a tractor just to mow is a waist.. then the ZTR is a huge waist... all it can do is mow.. etc. I like the utility concept of a tractor..

Turfs may help.. and if your old tractor is shot.. get a new one or fix it up...

Soundguy

/ what do i need? #5  
I do a lot of mowing and here is what I have. My 18hp MTD does my lawn, the old farm lawn and around trees and such. My 27HP Cub with a 72 MMM does the fields.

/ what do i need? #6  
I agree with the suggestion to get a subCUT. Sounds like the best all around solution. However, another option might be to look at a used JD 4xx series for mowing and general yard work. Or a similar new one (I think its a 585). You can get a loader, power angle snow plow, 3ph, and 4 wheel steer option on some of these. Or you might even consider a small CUT, like a Kioti CK20 or Kubota 7510: A lot more tractor for only a few more dollars. I would also look at the Simplicity Legacy series in the subCUT category.

Belly mowers are great for around trees. But roll bars get in the way.
RFM's are the most versatile, yet not perfect for tight spots.
Loaders get in the way when mowing. So look for ones that come off/on easily.

/ what do i need? #7  
Lessee now...
1)Lotsa trees => Mid Mount Mower, HST, Power Steering, tight turning radius, mid PTO
Look at SCUT or small CUT (for Kubota: BX or B7510/7610)

2)Pasture mowing => RFM or small brush cutter => 3pt. hitch & rear PTO
You've got the KK RFM, so you need a 3pt. hitch and PTO to run it

3)Rough Ground => Bigger tires, longer wheelbase than a riding mower
This kind of eliminates the SCUT. The bigger tires of a small CUT will help

4)Versatility => Hydraulic system, 3pt. hitch, rear & mid PTO, FEL availability
Most small CUTs have all of these

I've only managed to get my head around the Kubota SCUT/CUT lineup and faced many of your same requirements....especially rough ground and mowing around trees. In the Kubota line, I think you'd be happiest with either a B7510 or B7610 wearing turf tires and a 60" MMM. If $ is limited, you might want to get the tractor without the MMM initially and see how it does with the RFM around the trees. If the RFM doesn't work well there, you could get the MMM later...but it will cost more that way.

The ROPS, even a folding one, will be an issue around trees. Fortunately, the ROPS is fairly easy to remove on the B7510/7610. It's what I ended up doing after 3 minor disasters in the course of the first 2.5 hours of mowing. Other than having my sanity questioned on TBN, there have been no drawbacks to date...but as a caveat; my ground is flat and I've got over 40 yrs. tractoring experience.
Bob

/ what do i need? #8  
Bob has some good comments. Except for removing the ROPS. I have 2 acres and I have a TC29D with a 72" mower deck. This is considered a CUT. I have the industrial tires because of the slopes I have. I also use my tractor for moving boat docks etc, so it is a bit big for mowing my lawn. But I love the super-steer feature New Holland has especially for getting around trees. As far as the ROPS and clearance, cut the lower branches off. Your trees will handle it just fine. Pines you don't have to as most people don't mow underneath the branches. I think you would be amazed on how much nicer a Mid Mower is for mowing around a lot of trees versus the RFM.

I think the SCUT would be fine but if you want a larger tractor to do some of your larger tasks you can.

/ what do i need? #9  
thcri said:
But I love the super-steer feature New Holland has especially for getting around trees.

I have used super steer and you are 100% right. It is awesome!!!! If I had to go around trees or do lots of FEL work in small areas, SS would be a requirement. It is also strong and reliable. Pineridge has SS on a TC40DA and it is great. Along with HST.
Bob

/ what do i need? #10  
I'd agree w/getting the subCUT with a MMM. Lot more options with a tractor, and not for a lot more money than a ZTR big enough to handle ground rough as you say. Like somebody said above, lots of attachments for tractor. I don't know of any for a ZTR.

I cut 2 1/2-3 acres of yard on a 48" cut 18 1/2 hp mower and it takes forever cutting bahia grass in 1/2 the yard. Just got the 1533 and getting 6' RFM soon, will mow close to the house with the mower, cut rest w/RFM, and the 20 acre field w/bushhog.