What do I offer?

/ What do I offer? #11  
I'd expect a LOT off for 4800 miles.

Amen to that. I figure once you buy it and drive it off the lot, there is a huge depreciation hit. I'd want a supersweet deal. There are plenty of "non-demo" new trucks you can get a good deal on with any kind of bargaining skill why settle for one that has 4,800 miles on it without some special financial incentive?

/ What do I offer? #12  
I would say fifty cents per mile? Or more you should be able to start at
invoice and go down from there.

I'd agree with the 50 cents per mile figure with one exception...

The IRS reimbursement figure (50 cents) also includes gas. The dealership paid for the gas already, not you. It would stand to reason that anything over gas is considered wear and tear and depreciation on the vehicle. If the truck gets 16 mpg then it used 300 gallons. Use $3 gas as a conservative estimate, and you come up with $900. Take the $900 off the $2400 (4800 miles X $0.50) and you get $1500.

$1500 is an absolute minimum for the discount they should give you after you negotiate a best price on a new truck.

/ What do I offer? #13  
I bought a 2003 short yukon demo, actually like a previous poster said, the owner of the dealership himself drove it. it had 4000 something miles on it. sticker was 45k paid 36k including 6% tax with employee discount.

I dont know what the discount was good for exactly but guessing 4k. figuring that, we got about $1.50 per mile off sticker before discount

/ What do I offer? #14  
Not sure if you already purchased or not but,

I saved around $1500 on '08 Chevy diesel with 15xx miles on odometer over a comparably equipped truck on the lot. This truck was the color I wanted and had a power seat which the other did not.

If you purchase the truck and it has not never been titled make sure they start the warranty at 4800 miles. Did not check this on my '08 and it didn't happen, did have this done with a '95 Grand Cherokee we purchased with 10,000 miles previously.

I also checked the trailer hitch receiver and the inside paint was not scratched or worn off. Therefore it hadn't been towed with.

Also make sure stuff like the owners manual, jack and winter cover if it is a diesel are still there. Winter cover was missing on my '08 and never did get it from the dealer.

Check the bed for scratches also. Who knows what they hauled in there.

Last edited: