What do yall charge a mile?

/ What do yall charge a mile? #1  

hrcarver

Gold Member
Tractor
jd 6120, 7200, 7700 - ford 2910, 3000, 7610, 7740 - IH 140(2), Super A - kubota m6040
I was wondering what everyone charges per mile for a truck(1/2-1 ton) and a trailer. I figure about $1.75(one way), but do not know if I'm breaking even on it?

What do yall get?

/ What do yall charge a mile? #2  
Rule of thumb for vehicle expense is triple the fuel cost to cover insurance, depreciation, maintenance etc. If you want to make money that should be round trip plus your profit margin.
My experience is with cars in a service fleet, but it probably translates OK as a sanity check on small truck expense.

/ What do yall charge a mile? #3  
I was wondering what everyone charges per mile for a truck(1/2-1 ton) and a trailer. I figure about $1.75(one way), but do not know if I'm breaking even on it?

What do yall get?

I would think that you would want to at least calculate a break-even rate.

Based on this publication from Iowa State, you would be getting a lot of business (and probably losing a lot of money) if you were providing your services in Iowa. There the average rate/loaded mile for hauling livestock with a trailer is $2.65 with a range from $2.00 to $3.05.

http://www.extension.iastate.edu/publications/fm1698.pdf

Steve

/ What do yall charge a mile? #4  
It depends on what you are going to haul and how many of them are you going to put on...
Cars and compact tractor are ran cheap.
I just had 2 tractors moved in from Ten and I paid $850 I'm think right around 1.35 a mile but there was other equipment on the load for some one else.
I had my wifes Dodge 3500 Mega cab shipped in from Utah for $850 once again there was other cars on the load.
Specialty equipment that just can't be driven on or loaded easily will yeild you a pretty penny.
Make sure if your going to do it you have ALL the right paper work.
I will not hire a fly by knight!

/ What do yall charge a mile? #5  
My kubota dealer using a rollback charges $1.00 per mile.

mark

/ What do yall charge a mile? #7  
I like to get $1 per mile shop-to-shop. That pays for everything and I get paid a small snippet for my time. BUT, I'm not trying to buy groceries, I'm just tilling gardens for beer money.

/ What do yall charge a mile? #8  
I hate to sing the same old tune, but be weary of insurance when charging.

I often move cars for friends with my trailer and never charge, but make it clear to them that I have no liability for their vehicle if something should happen. As I do not have any insurance that would cover the load.

/ What do yall charge a mile? #9  
$2 per mile here or $75 per hour.

Chris

/ What do yall charge a mile? #10  
I hate to sing the same old tune, but be weary of insurance when charging.

I often move cars for friends with my trailer and never charge, but make it clear to them that I have no liability for their vehicle if something should happen. As I do not have any insurance that would cover the load.

Just taking $ in CA can get you in trouble if you don't have the license to go along with it :confused2: