What do Y'all charge ?

/ What do Y'all charge ? #1  

ssgp2

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 990, Case IH Farmall 40
I've been doing side jobs for several years and even added another tractor recently. I do carry insurance for my tractor side work, but was just curious how others charge for your area. I know some charge by the job or acre, but even that is based on an hourly rate. Being in the Ft. Worth area, I'm at $75/hr. from the time I get to the job site 'till I load up. If you do side jobs with your tractor, what's the going rate for your area?

/ What do Y'all charge ? #2  
I don’t do an hourly rate very often. They are hard to bid and one of the two parties never seems happy in the end.

I do $150 minimum unless I can stack jobs that are very close to eachother so I don’t have to load up between them. I do a lot of jobs for $150 for small garden tilling or minor driveway work then go up from there into the thousands of dollars.

/ What do Y'all charge ? #3  
I would also be interested in hearing opinions of the demographics and who is the cheapest. I did a job for my neighbor (90 years old) in the summer and he thought $140 was a lot when it was probably a $250+ job. I don't like to work for cheap people but I also understand someone that old has no concept of what things cost now.

He was also telling me his furnace guy charged him $75 for a service call and he told the guy he wouldn't be calling him back. My dad is 82 and also a cheapskate but he will pay it.

My neighbor was loaded BTW. He has since passed away.

/ What do Y'all charge ? #4  
I've been doing side jobs for several years and even added another tractor recently. I do carry insurance for my tractor side work, but was just curious how others charge for your area. I know some charge by the job or acre, but even that is based on an hourly rate. Being in the Ft. Worth area, I'm at $75/hr. from the time I get to the job site 'till I load up. If you do side jobs with your tractor, what's the going rate for your area?
I charge $75 per hour for mowing with a 6' or 7' mower, I do custom work such as no-till seeding, harrowing and breaking land as well but it is all done by the acre, also my bread & butter is my skid steer work. I only charge for the time I am on the job which includes loading up and binding down at the end of the day as long as the job is within 25 miles of my farm, I keep a 1 million $ liability policy as well as a state certified business license, this is also just something I do to make extra money as I am retired, things are a little slow here this time of year but will soon pick up and get really busy all the way through the fall.

/ What do Y'all charge ? #5  
Mowing and grading is a side hustle. Mostly just helping out some neighbors. I charge $75-100 an hour depending on how hard I'm working the machine. Light mowing $75 digging, grading, discing is $100

/ What do Y'all charge ? #6  
This should be an interesting topic.
With one exception, I charge (or base my bid on) $100 per hour for tractor work and $60 per hour for mowing with my zero turns.
Even my residential snow plowing is estimated on a $100 per hour rate, and is still significantly under what larger companies are charging for residential plowing. That's an easy sell in my very immediate area, as I am done with my plow run by 7am and the big boys won't even come out until their commercial accounts are finished.
The exception is stump grinding, which I bill at $200 per hour of grinding / grading time.

/ What do Y'all charge ? #7  
This should be an interesting topic.
With one exception, I charge (or base my bid on) $100 per hour for tractor work and $60 per hour for mowing with my zero turns.
Even my residential snow plowing is estimated on a $100 per hour rate, and is still significantly under what larger companies are charging for residential plowing. That's an easy sell in my very immediate area, as I am done with my plow run by 7am and the big boys won't even come out until their commercial accounts are finished.
The exception is stump grinding, which I bill at $200 per hour of grinding / grading time.
We, my son and I charge a per stump charge depending on the size of the stump and species.

/ What do Y'all charge ? #8  
Curious what kind of stump grinders are you guys using? I've thought about adding that to my side hustle offering in a few years.

/ What do Y'all charge ? #9  
I don't charge by the hour. I figure my work by the job.

I don't do mowing. All of my work uses highly specialized equipment. But, if I figure it by the hour, sometimes it works out to as much as $1000 per hour.

But, that includes up to $300,000 of equipment on a job. That would be 2 trucks, 2 trailers, one or two tractors, maybe a skid steer, and several attachments, laser equipment, lots of insurance, licenses, and 2 or 3 men.

/ What do Y'all charge ? #10  
I don't charge by the hour. I figure my work by the job.

I don't do mowing. All of my work uses highly specialized equipment. But, if I figure it by the hour, sometimes it works out to as much as $1000 per hour.

But, that includes up to $300,000 of equipment on a job. That would be 2 trucks, 2 trailers, one or two tractors, maybe a skid steer, and several attachments, laser equipment, lots of insurance, licenses, and 2 or 3 men.
(y)