What does 10 below do to peach trees?

/ What does 10 below do to peach trees?
That 16 below turned into 21 below this morning with more of the same tonight. This will be an interesting experiment because it seems the bud has to suffer some damage at these levels.

/ What does 10 below do to peach trees? #12  
Yeah, I think you're okay until blossoms come out. I lost a native maple tree a few years ago after it budded. That was at me place in Georgia too! Shocked me. Freeze split the bark at base of tree, it became firewood.

As I recall, that split bark is called "sun scald" wherein the low sun hits the frozen bark on one side with resultant bark splitting...usually on older trees.....but I ain't no arborist.

Here's how this ended up after a series of nearly 20 blow last winter and my Hale Haven and Red Haven peach trees.

The trees had some dead branches but lived. There were zero blossoms this year and I thought the trees seemed more susceptible to bugs.
So let's see what happens next year.

/ What does 10 below do to peach trees? #14  
Treat them for the bugs and diseases, if you don't they will likely fail in large numbers. You may lose some anyway. In this weakened state they are very susceptible.

Good advice and that's what i've been doing.

/ What does 10 below do to peach trees? #16  
Any that don't bloom this coming year, may never produce properly again, if you the fruit is important, you may want to replace those with trees as northern hardy as you can find. Peaches are climate sensitive as you know, when we get 30-40 years of milder weather, they get moved north, then we get a 30 year colder spell and they shift back to the south.

/ What does 10 below do to peach trees? #17  
Here's how this ended up after a series of nearly 20 blow last winter and my Hale Haven and Red Haven peach trees.

The trees had some dead branches but lived. There were zero blossoms this year and I thought the trees seemed more susceptible to bugs.
So let's see what happens next year.

Our peach tree had a total of about 6 blossoms this year. Probably 80% of the leaves were gone as well. 30% of the branches were completely dead. I severely pruned it back to the few living branches and we'll see how it does next year. If nothing, its a goner and I'll replace it. Lost a nectarine tree completely. ZERO leaves. Cut it out and replaced with some pear trees. Apple trees lived, but no fruit this year. Apricot trees the same. Cherry trees had about 10% normal fruit, so I let the birds eat those. Grapes, on the other hand, will be too many to process. Same with raspberries. Strawberries were weak.

/ What does 10 below do to peach trees? #18  
I actually lost a gum tree, a fully mature one, no great loss there, planned to cut it anyway. It had some freeze damage and it never put out a leaf this year, was normal last year, never saw that before.