What does detent mean?

/ What does detent mean? #11  
wouldn't the detent be common on hydraulic wood spliters?

Not sure if is case of detent, mine can lock in the return part of the switch, not in the forward movement for safety reasons though

/ What does detent mean? #12  
Most all log splitters using a log splitter valve, will detent in the retract position. It is a hands free return so you can be picking up the next log.

/ What does detent mean? #13  
Most all log splitters using a log splitter valve, will detent in the retract position. It is a hands free return so you can be picking up the next log.

Yeppir! It's a beautiful thing.:)

/ What does detent mean? #14  

J_J exactly what I tried to say, you just said so much better

/ What does detent mean? #15  

That's what I was thinking of.

/ What does detent mean? #16  
There is an automatic log splitter valve available now for set and forget splitting.

Automatic log splitter valve. This is a two handle valve that allows you to push both handles forward (they lock into this position), the splitter ram than will move forward a full stroke and than kick itself into reverse and will return back to the starting point of fully retracted.

/ What does detent mean? #19  
   / What does detent mean? #20  
Yes, I saw that price, but as with any thing that makes things better, they seem to want a small fortune to operate it. You have to pay extra for convenience.

Seems like there should be a way of using a solenoid valve, and some relays to cycle the log splitter. First a latching relay would operate, and extend the rod to split , when it got to the end, it would hit a switch and cause the relay to reverse the solenoid, and the cylinder rod would retract, and hit a stop switch at the end and stop operation. Sounds like an automatic process to me.