What else is a PHD useful for?

/ What else is a PHD useful for? #1  

MMH

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4500
Other than digging post holes that is. I have about 40 posts I have to put in for a split rail fence. After doing allot of reading here (mostly on this forum), I'm beginning to think that I'd be better off renting a post hole driver for the job. I was thinking that if I'd buy the PHD there would be other jobs I can use it for. So, how useful of a tool is the PHD? Is it an attachment worth having around?

/ What else is a PHD useful for? #2  
I've had mine a year or so and have only dug postholes with it. I dare say it could be used for other things but they haven't arisen on my projects list.

/ What else is a PHD useful for? #3  
Rent a hydraulic powered one on a skidsteer.

What else are they useful for you ask. Raising your blood pressure, hurting your back, frustrating the crap out of you, adding to your vocabulary of cuss words, possibly maiming or killing you.

I traded mine in as a down payment on a lawn tractor. I only drilled about a dozen holes with the dam thing.

/ What else is a PHD useful for? #4  
burying cats and dogs last dog was 3 holes and shovel to connect the holes..little animals are real easy.

/ What else is a PHD useful for? #5  

Attachments

• DSCN7295.JPG
    DSCN7295.JPG
    905.1 KB · Views: 161
   / What else is a PHD useful for? #6  
I assume you are talking a tractor PHD??

A few things I have used them for.

If you get one with a 12" auger, it works good for planting small trees.

And (at least on mine) the whole gearbox,auger, and PTO shaft can come off with 1 large pin. Then you just have the arched boom and lower connecting links. I have used this as a boom pole before to lift things into or out of the truck.

/ What else is a PHD useful for? #7  
Pull the pin and remove it from the arm ... a boom pole!

/ What else is a PHD useful for? #8  
I don't have one, but, couldn't a PHD, with the auger off and a spool attached be like a 'wire winder/unwinder'.

Just a thought.

/ What else is a PHD useful for? #9  
I've used mine for turning the compost bin. Really works good.
BTW my new used tractor came with a never used Bush Hog 2102 w/9" auger that I need to sell.

/ What else is a PHD useful for? #10  
Rent a hydraulic powered one on a skidsteer.

For that many holes, get something like the bobcat MT52 with auger. Easy to use, easy to maneuver and easier to tow. They work surprisingly well at about the 1/2 price.