What gave 60's Greyhounds their distinctive smell

/ What gave 60's Greyhounds their distinctive smell #21  
We had a fleet of IHC trucks back in the 70s, all with Detroits. Some were 6-71s and some were 8V-71s. I still have a few tools for working on them and rebuilding the blowers, and could probably put one back together in my sleep.
Most Detroits didn't leak per se, the oil that dripped was from the airbox drains, which was scraped off the pistons as they moved by the intake ports in the sleeves. On a few, I brazed a fitting into the oil pans and dumped the drains back into the oil pan. Problem solved!

/ What gave 60's Greyhounds their distinctive smell #22  
If you drove a double breasted Yamaha, you always parked on the gravel at a truck stop so the puke tubes didn't destroy the asphalt.

My very first tractor was a Kenworth with a 318 Detroit. Only truck I ever had (4x4 twin stick) you had to downshift to drive over a cigarette butt.

Graduated to an 855 Cummins and then to Cats.

All Detroit 2 strokes have a distinctive exhaust smell. it's the smell of unburnt fuel mixed with blowby vapor.

They do make great stationary engines or in say a crane where they can run at rated rpm constantly. Not so good in a truck however.

Used to say, the only way you could drive one was to slam the door on your fingers before starting it. That way you'd drive it with your foot mashed on the floor.

Those were the days...........

/ What gave 60's Greyhounds their distinctive smell #23  
Back in the day, Roadway routed the puke tubes to the fuel tanks and burned it. They never changed the oil, just kept adding.

/ What gave 60's Greyhounds their distinctive smell #24  
Last time I went to an antique car show, I noticed that the interior of one or two smelled just like some of the old prewar bangers my dad used to drive to work. I think the smell came from some kind of adhesive in the upholstery. Wish I knew for sure.
It was the plastic used in the interior for the seats. The vinyl (or the equivalent) parts. But made using animal and maybe vegetable oils instead of petroleum oils as the feedstock. Germany, during the Second World War, needed to use raw petroleum as the feedstock for more important stuff like fuel and explosives. After the war Germany still had the same problem except that fewer explosives were being made. At least that's the story I was told. I do know that Germany was making synthetic fuels from coal during the war, but not a very large percentage of the total fuel use during the war.

/ What gave 60's Greyhounds their distinctive smell #25  
It was the plastic used in the interior for the seats. The vinyl (or the equivalent) parts.
Naugahyde...lol I seem to remember that a company offered seat covers made out of that stuff back in the 60's and it stunk too. Think the name of the company was Fingerhut.

/ What gave 60's Greyhounds their distinctive smell
In the 60's our neighbors had their furniture recovered in Naugahide. I hope it lasted longer than some of the vinyl covers I've known.

Last edited:
   / What gave 60's Greyhounds their distinctive smell #27  
Naugahyde...
I actually thought it was that, as well. But at least the few sites I found before posting about the wax all refuted that idea.

/ What gave 60's Greyhounds their distinctive smell #30  
The use of Naugahyde caused the total extinction of the Naugie, a cute six legged rat.
this caused Chrysler to go to Corinthian leather in many of their vehicles. I am still looking for a Corin. So many names for the same cheaap vinyl.