What good is a "true" level indicator anyway?

/ What good is a "true" level indicator anyway? #11  
Re: What good is a \"true\" level indicator anyway?

Henro, I was reading your post and noticed you need one of these /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Roundtoit

/ What good is a "true" level indicator anyway? #12  

Hi

I use my indicator rod all the time. I marked it for level and also several other down bucket settings so I can back drag with the same angle each time. Obviously I have to adjust to any changing terrain, but it gives me a baseline to start with.

Experience is the true teacher. I'm sure everyone finds a method that works for them over time.

John

/ What good is a "true" level indicator anyway? #13  

I have to agree with you. Having never used a tractor with the rod type level indicator, I've grown used to the Kubota style and I like it. The top of the angle is parallel to the bottom of the bucket, and since it is, I always know the posistion of the cutting edge.
As an aside, the bucket lever indicator on our Case 580M is mounted to the bucket linkage, and as the linkage rotates back and forth around a pin, one side of the indicator moves and the other half is fixed. When both sides line up, the bucket is level. Very easy to see and use. I may be able to get a photo of it tomorrow.

/ What good is a "true" level indicator anyway? #14  

thats the same kind i have and it works as well as can be expected, mostly i just use as a general gauge of where the bucket is in realation to the terrain .

/ What good is a "true" level indicator anyway? #15  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Having never used a tractor with the rod type level indicator, I've grown used to the Kubota style and I like it. The top of the angle is parallel to the bottom of the bucket, and since it is, I always know the posistion of the cutting edge )</font>

Actually the "Kubota style" does or has included both. My '95 B7100 had the rod and my '99 B2710 had the flat angle on top of the bucket. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ What good is a "true" level indicator anyway? #16  

<font color="red"> the bucket lever indicator on our Case 580M is mounted to the bucket linkage, and as the linkage rotates back and forth around a pin, one side of the indicator moves and the other half is fixed. When both sides line up, the bucket is level. Very easy to see and use. I may be able to get a photo of it tomorrow. </font>

I would love to see a couple pictures of that from different angles. I wonder if it could be adapted & attached to other buckets?

/ What good is a "true" level indicator anyway? #17  

<font color="red"> The only thing I wish for and will accomplish sometime when I get around to it, is to have one of these type indicators on each side of the bucket.

I can't see ever wanting one of those level indicators that is a rod that moves up and down with bucket angle. I need to know the angle of my bucket, not if it is level or not!

Am I in the minority here? </font>

Henro, I use both the "rod type" and the same Kubota level indicator you show in your picture. The Kubota indicator is better for me too. I am more concerned about level, the rod type, does not easily show level. I ended up painting a mark on the rod to show level, but the Kubota system is easy & foolproof (at least for me because it hasn't fooled me yet).

/ What good is a "true" level indicator anyway? #18  

AT FIRST I WASN'T USED TO THE INDICATOR, BUT ONCE I PUT A FEW HOURS ON THE MACHINE, I FELT IT VERY EASY TO HAVE A LEVEL BUCKET. I THINK THAT NO MATTER WHAT TYPE OF TRACTOR YOU HAVE, IT IS SEAT TIME THAT WILL MAKE YOU MORE PROFICIENT.

/ What good is a "true" level indicator anyway? #19  

Hi...

I use the rod type indicator too...
...marked the level spot at the top of red reflective tape... next to white reflective tape...

Joint at red & white tape is level... the more red I see means the bucket is tipped back...
...see only white means bucket is tipped forward...

Tape is wide enough so always see red or white at full bucket angles...

Refer to it for level... and as a reference to level to get the same angle each time... and as a visual guide to see how much I move the bucket... easier to see than the bucket...

Dave...

/ What good is a "true" level indicator anyway? #20  

I took two quick shots on the way out of work this afternoon. You'll have to excuse the quality; I took them with my cell phone.
For reference, the bucket is rolled back slightly.

Attachments

• 501899-Image031.jpg
    501899-Image031.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 209