What grade of gas?

/ What grade of gas? #1  

Grand_Pooba

Silver Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT230 & John Deere X324
Does anybody run super unleaded in there lawn tractor? I have a JD X324 lawn tractor with about 150 hrs on it and it just quick running. It's on its way to the dealer today to get looked at but I'm almost possitive it's a fuel issue. Is the higher grade gas better for these engines or would I just be spending more money?

/ What grade of gas? #2  
If you use a higher octane than what is recommended for your engine, you are wasting money.

/ What grade of gas? #3  
I've got two 2-cycle small engines; a Stihl string trimmer and a Mantis tiller. One says minimum of 87 octane and the other recommends 89. The Kohler engine on my Toro ZTR says "87 octane or higher". I may be wasting money, but for the amount of gas I use in the engines . . . well, I'm running the 89 octane in all 3, I use Stihl's synthetic 2-cycle oil in the 2-cycle engines, and I add Stabil to to the gasoline for all 3 engines.

/ What grade of gas? #4  
The repair facility down the road from me advises all their customers to put at least mid-grade in all gasoline powered equipment since the quality of regular unleaded has gone to heck. After they diagnose a fuel problem they can pinpoint most people who run regular. Since they make money off repairs and not gasoline I appreciated the advice.

I run diesel in the tractor so my gasoline usage is limited but I spend the $.20 more a gallon for premium and everything starts up great - even after sitting for a while. Goes a long way towards paying the minimum charge for a repair tech just to look at a piece of equipment - and not having it available for use.

/ What grade of gas? #5  
My nephew is superindent for a golf course in our area, and he just told me last weekend that their equipment suppliers are also recommending to use premium gasoline. I didn't get a chance to ask why, but it wouldn't suprise me if the degradation of any current fuels might be why.

In the past, I never had problems with 87, but certainly do now, even when using a fuel stabilizer. I have a hard time thinking that all the fuel that I'm sure is getting dumped because it went bad isn't just as hard on the environment as the old stuff that would last more that a couple of months....

I'll be interested to here what others have to say on this subject.

GGB

/ What grade of gas? #6  
We run 87 in our mowers and stuff but boats now get premium. Too much trouble with 87 in them. In my small stuff like weed eaters and chain saws I run 100LL aviation fuel. Solved all my issues but my buddy has not learned. I have had to replace 2 of his carbs due to major issues.

Chris

/ What grade of gas? #7  
I believe that the recommendation for premium gas is because ethanol will degrade 93 to 87 in 30 days. Manufacturers don't usually recommend a stabilizer but most dealers should. A large number of the repairs in our shop are due to untreated, old gas.

/ What grade of gas? #8  
I see that I made an error in my earlier post. Both of my 2-cycle engines (Mantis & Stihl) called for 89 octane. The Stihl says if the mid-grade in your area is less than 89 to use premium. It also says lower octane will cause the engine to run hotter and heat may damage the piston.

/ What grade of gas? #9  
We use 93 only because where we get it from, it is ethanol free. Use it in all small engines and outboards we have.

/ What grade of gas?
Sounds like the only downside to using premium is the cost Considering we only use about 5 gals a week it adds upto $1 a week. I can handle that.:thumbsup: