What Grease and How Often: Trailer Hubs

/ What Grease and How Often: Trailer Hubs #1  

hunterridgefarm

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130DT, Kubota L185DT, JD LX277
I have several maintenance projects to complete in the next few weeks. Tractor oil, filters and grease fittings, and Mule oil change.

I plan to grease the trailer hubs but cannot find my axle grease. Since I need to buy some more axle grease I thought I would ask what kind you use and how often do you grease your trailer hubs?

/ What Grease and How Often: Trailer Hubs #2  
I use Pennzoil Marine Grease on all trailer hubs. It has a high drip point and is very water resistant. It is colored green so there is no question if there is contamination. I get it in the standard grease gun tube and in a 1# pale. I hand pack all bearings out of the pale and then use the grease gun to top off my buddy bearing which I have on every trailer I have ever owned.

Chris

/ What Grease and How Often: Trailer Hubs #3  
Okay, I'll bite. What is a "buddy bearing"?

/ What Grease and How Often: Trailer Hubs #5  
I use Pennzoil Marine Grease on all trailer hubs. It has a high drip point and is very water resistant. It is colored green so there is no question if there is contamination. I get it in the standard grease gun tube and in a 1# pale. I hand pack all bearings out of the pale and then use the grease gun to top off my buddy bearing which I have on every trailer I have ever owned.

Chris
Question Chris,

Any idea how I can stop losing bearing buddies? I hate to think how many I have lost off one 5' x 8' trailer!

Thanks,

/ What Grease and How Often: Trailer Hubs #7  
Question Chris,

Any idea how I can stop losing bearing buddies? I hate to think how many I have lost off one 5' x 8' trailer!

Thanks,

Over greasing them will push them off. There could be other reason such as theft or hitting something with them if they extend past the tire (have seen some do that or right at that point). But be sure you have the right size, your hubs may be an odd size. I have a single axle trailer with that problem.

/ What Grease and How Often: Trailer Hubs #8  
Over greasing them will push them off. There could be other reason such as theft or hitting something with them if they extend past the tire (have seen some do that or right at that point). But be sure you have the right size, your hubs may be an odd size. I have a single axle trailer with that problem.
I have never had them long enough to grease them and the size is a standard 1.98" hub. I have to tap them on with a rubber mallet, but sooner or later they disappear. Usually during the 19 mile trip between my home and my rural property, which includes 5 miles of dirt road.

/ What Grease and How Often: Trailer Hubs #9  
I keep loosing them too I resorted to cutting a soda bottle and taping it over the hub once to keep dirt out now I put them over the bearing buddy to keep them clean and contained.

tom

/ What Grease and How Often: Trailer Hubs #10  
Question Chris,

Thanks,

Not sure Mike. I have literally towed over 100 trailers probably over 100,000 miles and only lost one. Are you sure you are using the right size? There are a few sizes and 2 are very close, like 5/100th inches different. Also do not over grease them. This is common. All you should be able to do is rock the pressure plate a little with 2 fingers. Too many people fill them with grease 100% full and either lose them or blow the rear seals out.

In the end I bet you have the 2.04 units and the 1.98 is just not enough bite. I installed some 1.98 units on a bass boat and they felt loose so I tried the 2.04 and they were too tight but a little dressing with a file to basically remove only the chrome from the mounting area and they went right on nice and tight.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=97347

Chris