What have I done?? Ford 1720 issues

/ What have I done?? Ford 1720 issues #1  

Stangusso

Tractor
Ford 1720
I recently installed a new clutch in my Ford 1720. The good news is that the clutch works perfectly the first time. The bad news is that I seem to have created two problems in the process. Replacing the clutch obviously requires splitting the machine in two, and disconnecting everything required to make that happen. While I had it apart, I also replaced the fuel filter (which was pretty dirty), and the air filter. Everything seemed to go well until I started it back up...

First issue...The starter won't engage properly and grinds. I don't see any way to adjust the position of the starter, and I looked at and lubed the gear and shaft when the starter was out.

Secondly, and of greater concern, is the fact that the machine does not make the same power under a load. I noticed that when going up a hill it seems to slow down easily, and seems to make more smoke. When I step on the accelerator nothing happens. The throttle is completely unresponsive under these conditions. I've owned this machine for quite a while so I know this is different from before I did the clutch work. I'm not sure if it is related, but I also noticed that the bucket controls seem to be putting a load on the machine while the control lever is in the neutral position. When I have the machine at an idle and actuate the bucket, the rpms actual go up, as if I have taken a load of the engine. Also with the bucket lever in the neutral position it sounds like the hydraulic fluid is flowing.

Did I forget to reconnect something? connect something wrong? maybe the injectors are plugged from sitting while I was waiting to do the clutch (sat for the better part of a year)?

Any insight would be appreciated.

/ What have I done?? Ford 1720 issues #2  
Not sure greasing the starter is a good idea, where did you grease it?

Any old rubber fuel line?

/ What have I done?? Ford 1720 issues
Not sure greasing the starter is a good idea, where did you grease it?

Any old rubber fuel line?

I shot a small amount of WD40 on the pinion shaft.

I replaced a section of fuel line between the tank and the filter. The line from the filter to the pump is still the original as best I can tell. I assumed black smoke meant excess fuel as opposed to starving for fuel?

/ What have I done?? Ford 1720 issues #4  
Removed the air filter?

/ What have I done?? Ford 1720 issues
Removed the air filter?

I ordered a new air filter and replaced it. I am having this issue with the new filter installed.

/ What have I done?? Ford 1720 issues #6  
Did you pull the tractor back together with the bolts or did it slide in easy?