What implement to use?

/ What implement to use? #1  

RAD10

I am wondering if there is an implement I can use on my tractor that would be better to maintain a gravel road and drive way than a box blade with gripper teeth?

It is a private road and drive way that in all is about 1 to 1.5 miles of gravel road. I'm a newbie to tractors and all the implements and just looking to see if there is something out there that would make the job of maintaining the roads easier.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

/ What implement to use? #2  
Take a look at a Grademaster or Road Boss Grader One of these will work good for your application. I have a Road Boss to maintain almost 2 miles of roads.

Attachments

• P3190001.JPG
    P3190001.JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 476
  • p1010040.jpg
    p1010040.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 419
   / What implement to use? #3  
Maybe rake w/fold down grader blade...2 in 1 setup.

/ What implement to use? #4  
I bought a "driveway groomer" and it works pretty well as long as the rock is not set like concrete. If there's some loose rock it will redistribute it and move it from the high spots to the low spots. I use it on our subdivision road about every two weeks or so. You know how rock tends to move to the middle and edges of the road? You can move it from those spots and put it where you need it.

Is it as good as the Duragrader type units? Not if the road needs major work. Do I want to spend lots of money when I don't need to? OK, sometimes. :D

Depending on your conditions, the Driveway Groomer might be the right tool.

Driveway Groomer for Do-It-Yourself Gravel Driveway Repair

/ What implement to use? #5  
RAD10 said:
I am wondering if there is an implement I can use on my tractor that would be better to maintain a gravel road and drive way than a box blade with gripper teeth?

It is a private road and drive way that in all is about 1 to 1.5 miles of gravel road. I'm a newbie to tractors and all the implements and just looking to see if there is something out there that would make the job of maintaining the roads easier.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

For maintenance I use a landscape rake with gauge wheels. Easy to pull material back in after winter plowing and easy to reset the crown. Also works for spreading gravel used to fill rough spots. For the ditch line I use a rear tilt blade. I also use the blade for making water bars to channel the run-off away from the road.

/ What implement to use? #6  
It's hard to believe that they can actually sell something like that for that amount of money. I am in the wrong business. Or the pictures don't do it justice and I am missing something.

GaryM said:
I bought a "driveway groomer" and it works pretty well as long as the rock is not set like concrete. If there's some loose rock it will redistribute it and move it from the high spots to the low spots. I use it on our subdivision road about every two weeks or so. You know how rock tends to move to the middle and edges of the road? You can move it from those spots and put it where you need it.

Is it as good as the Duragrader type units? Not if the road needs major work. Do I want to spend lots of money when I don't need to? OK, sometimes. :D

Depending on your conditions, the Driveway Groomer might be the right tool.

Driveway Groomer for Do-It-Yourself Gravel Driveway Repair

/ What implement to use? #7  
JerryG said:
It's hard to believe that they can actually sell something like that for that amount of money. I am in the wrong business. Or the pictures don't do it justice and I am missing something.

Maybe both! :)

The cutting blades are laser or plasma cut. Nice clean construction. All powder coated and fits together well. The cutting blades are 1/4" or slightly more in thickness. The angle and tube are nothing special I guess, but it seems to work well and does what I expected it to do. I've bought lots of stuff in the past that didn't. :mad:

I guess you could go into competition. :)

/ What implement to use? #8  
I second the Grademaster, I purchased one 2 weeks ago to maintain my driveway and love it.

/ What implement to use?
Woody_NH said:
For maintenance I use a landscape rake with gauge wheels. Easy to pull material back in after winter plowing and easy to reset the crown. Also works for spreading gravel used to fill rough spots. For the ditch line I use a rear tilt blade. I also use the blade for making water bars to channel the run-off away from the road.

I can see this working with moving the gravel around where needed but how do you rework the pot holes? I would think you almost need to cut them out some how then smooth back out rather than just add gravel back in the holes.

/ What implement to use? #10  
I am not sure what works best but I have used my 5' box blade to do it a couple of times and it works great. I have one really bad spot where it eats gravel like my wife does chocolate (I need a swale put in). Whats nice about the BB is it can relocate quite a bit of gravel at once.

BTW I have a 1/4 mile drive so my application may be different then yours with over a mile.