what is a decent small garden tiller?

/ what is a decent small garden tiller? #1  

dukenyc

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 4100
I have never had an auto tiller before, so i don't really know what to look for. I was in Lowes last night and they had 2hp bolens for around $100 and 2hp troy-bilt tillers for $200. They also had a 6hp boles for $200.

Should I even consider any of these? What do I look for and does it matter if I am only going to till a smallish gardern, maybe 50'x50'. There is currently asparagus in a third of it and I was told it need to be "lightly tilled, but not to deep" ASAP if I want it to come in this year.

Any input is appreciated. (I am also buying a string trimmer, chainsaw, and shrub-cutter, but that is probably another thread)

/ what is a decent small garden tiller? #2  
As with many products, they all work. The smaller and lighter ones just take longer to get the job done. Personally, I probably wouldn't buy anything less than 5hp, and I prefer rear tine models simply because they're easier to use, especially if you've never used a tiller. The front tine models work just fine if you know how to use them properly without working yourself to death. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ what is a decent small garden tiller? #3  
Depends some on what you're looking to do with it. If you want to be able to till an entire garden in the 2000-10000 sq ft range (especially if that includes breaking new ground) that's one size tiller. If you're only considering between-row cultivating, that may be something else.

If you're not glued to buying new, one of the best bangs for your buck may be an old Troy-Bilt (pre-MTD). The current big Troy-Bilts may not be bad, but you're close to $2000 for them.

The big old "Horse" models are simple and nearly indestructable. I have a 27 year old 7hp 4-speed Horse that will probably outlast me. I've never owned one, but I'd hazard a guess that the smaller old Pony models are much better than any of the current smallish tillers. Old Troy-Bilts can be had in perfectly good running condition anywhere from $100-$400. For the most part, parts are not a problem, MTD even has quite a lot availble now, and you'll find tons of stuff on eBay.

/ what is a decent small garden tiller?
the garden is 50'x50' and is already fertile, currently with asparagus so being gentle (staying shallow) is important.

If I ever do a big garden, I'll get a tow behind for the Deere.

I think MTD makes both bolens and troy-bilt, so I guess i am going MTD...

/ what is a decent small garden tiller? #5  
I bought an IDC brand 2 cycle tiller from KMart 8 or 9 years ago, it is a copy of the Mantis tiller. It cost $160 new and I have used it every year to till between the rows and up close to the plants. It sure beats hoeing, if mine died today, I would look for something simular to replace it. It only weighs 7 or 8 pounds and doesn't dig real deep but is still a great tool for a gardener. I had a string trimmer that had the exact same engine on it.

/ what is a decent small garden tiller? #6  
Now don't laugh at this;

do a fair amount of landscaping and yard tear-out/re-plant for a small customer base. I have a couple of tillers on the equipment for tearing up the large parts. But what seems to be the thing we use the most in the small areas is a basic front tine Sears tiller, 5.5 h.p. I believe. Heck, you can even take off the outboard tines off to make it smaller! It works great for us. Now, I do have to say it'll work ya and is not as smooth as the rear tine versions I use, but it is much more maneuverable.

/ what is a decent small garden tiller? #7  
I bought my wife a Honda Harmony tiller a couple of years ago. It is very light and has a great 1.5 HP 4-stroke engine. That thing does an unbelievable job, and has been perfectly reliable - she has never had any problem starting it. In fact, she has done new flower beds in turf that have never been tilled. Once you get through the top layer, it gets right down in there and tills as deep as the hilt.

Not cheap - pushing $400, but a great machine.

/ what is a decent small garden tiller? #8  
I got a front tine Bolens for close to $260. Great machine, nice and large (6.5HP). It will give you a workout with the rocky soil I have around here, but it's been a great tiller thus far.

Also, the outer tines come off to make it narrow. A very nice feature for row gardens. If you're not real big and have lots of rocks, try to find a rear tine tiller. They are much smoother, but will cost accordingly.

/ what is a decent small garden tiller? #9  
I like my Troy-Bilt Bronco. Small, reasonable light, easy to operate, and well built. It's all in what you're used to. My Bro-in-law CAN'T STAND rear tine tillers. (Make that ANOTHER endearing quality of my Troy-Bilt /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif)

/ what is a decent small garden tiller? #10  
I bought my wife one these.......
craftman tiller

It's light and does a good job. bought it last year and it just fired right up after winter. it folds up and doesnt take alot of space.

Only problem my property has alot of rocks and it can sure find them in your garden area! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif