What Is It??????

/ What Is It?????? #22  
Both types should have interchangeable flat tips for easier use on shafts without drill centers. I have both types. The Starrett is a rev counter so you need to use a watch but much more accurate, especially at low speeds like shafts on a combine. I still have a hand tech in the cab of our Case IH combine because the digital fan tach isn't reliable. I keep forgetting about the phone app.

/ What Is It?????? #23  
That is a hand held tachometer for the old Allis-Chalmers pull type 60, and 66 All Crop combines. They came with each new combine sold. It was used to set the cylinder speed on the combine. Different crops required different cylinder speeds, to separate the seed from the chaff properly. When they would harvest anything from soybeans, to clover seed, you needed to set the cylinder/fan speed. Faster for large grain, slower for like the clover seed, because it is so light, the fan would blow the seed right out with the chaff, if the cylinder speed was too fast.

Put the tip in the divot on the end of the shaft, where it was turned on a lathe at the factory, and set the cylinder speed to where you want it, and mark the notch on the throttle on the tractor, and you're good to go. Later models came with tachometers on the combines. We've had one in the tool box in the shop we got at an auction many years ago, to set & mark the pto on tractors without a tach.

I've heard many a farmer say those old All Crops were the best machine to harvest clover seed.

/ What Is It??????
That is a hand held tachometer for the old Allis-Chalmers pull type 60, and 66 All Crop combines. They came with each new combine sold. It was used to set the cylinder speed on the combine. Different crops required different cylinder speeds, to separate the seed from the chaff properly. When they would harvest anything from soybeans, to clover seed, you needed to set the cylinder/fan speed. Faster for large grain, slower for like the clover seed, because it is so light, the fan would blow the seed right out with the chaff, if the cylinder speed was too fast.

Put the tip in the divot on the end of the shaft, where it was turned on a lathe at the factory, and set the cylinder speed to where you want it, and mark the notch on the throttle on the tractor, and you're good to go. Later models came with tachometers on the combines. We've had one in the tool box in the shop we got at an auction many years ago, to set & mark the pto on tractors without a tach.

I've heard many a farmer say those old All Crops were the best machine to harvest clover seed.

Good stuff!!!! Sure looks like the "AC" logo to me.

Those old pull type AC combines were the preferred machine here in the 50s and early 60s. As self propelled machines started to take over other brands started showing up. For a short period Massey Harris was popular here.

As we went into self propelled Gleaner combines were preferred for small seed harvest.

/ What Is It?????? #25  
AC, as in AC Delco. I'm just about old enough to remember seeing one in the tool room at the dealership.

/ What Is It??????
AC, as in AC Delco. I'm just about old enough to remember seeing one in the tool room at the dealership.

I tried it out on a drill yesterday. It doesn't work..... But I'll add it to my limited collection. :)

Welcome to TBN.

/ What Is It?????? #27  
I tried it out on a drill yesterday. It doesn't work..... But I'll add it to my limited collection. :)

Welcome to TBN.

Put it with your tire tube collection:D

/ What Is It?????? #29  
That is definitely an AC Delco brand hand held tachometer.

1_9075fae74da5a04f0fb3a92098107001.jpg

1_3bd8275cac0e2793686072e0c1d284d3.jpg

Pay attention to the "A" in the logo, Allis Chalmers' (not shown) is different while AC Delco's is identical.

/ What Is It??????
Wish I had your container!! :)