what is non-detergent oil

/ what is non-detergent oil #41  
You know this is a old thread.

/ what is non-detergent oil #42  
I had forgotten all about non-detergent oils, thick gunk on valve covers, oil pans, etc. I don't miss it.

/ what is non-detergent oil #43  
   / what is non-detergent oil #44  
I recently went on a search for non-detergent oil. It's hard to find, but I did find some at NAPA and Wally-World. The reason that I wanted some was for my power washer pump maintenance. In reading on the Simpson power washer site, non-detergent oil does not foam like detergent oil does. The foaming reportedly takes away the fines in the pump but also causes higher operating temperatures.

Non-detergent oil, obviously, does not contain the detergents nor the additives that cause foaming, nor does it cavitate as detergent oils do.
No - I'm no petrochemical engineer, nor did I sleep at Holiday Inn Express last night. So all of Simpson's explanation may be all baloney - but I took them at their word and use single weight 30W non-detergent oil in my air compressor and power washer.

/ what is non-detergent oil #47  
I recently went on a search for non-detergent oil. It's hard to find, but I did find some at NAPA and Wally-World. The reason that I wanted some was for my power washer pump maintenance. In reading on the Simpson power washer site, non-detergent oil does not foam like detergent oil does. The foaming reportedly takes away the fines in the pump but also causes higher operating temperatures.

Non-detergent oil, obviously, does not contain the detergents nor the additives that cause foaming, nor does it cavitate as detergent oils do.
No - I'm no petrochemical engineer, nor did I sleep at Holiday Inn Express last night. So all of Simpson's explanation may be all baloney - but I took them at their word and use single weight 30W non-detergent oil in my air compressor and power washer.

if their current specs still say to use it.. go for it.

My 2 new air compressors and my new lawnmower all spec syn oil. my 16yr old lawnmower manufacturers ( engine) website also updated their specs to syn.

I imagine some companies just don't want to hassle with updating their specs. besides.. if the pump wears out sooner.. they get to sell you a new one. :) all it needs is to last past warranty. :) ;)

/ what is non-detergent oil #48  
I get the point that the general consensus is that non detergent is junk, but that v4 Wisconsin I mentioned earlier bailed 100 acres of hay it's first 20-25 years, then pumped millions and millions of gallons of water from a tanker up until last season when we retired it... Still running, but finally starting to knock and is going to be rebuilt.... I'd say we got pretty decent service out of it with non D oil... Would I use it in today's engines from the get go? Heck no, but it lasted thru my grandfather, father and me, so I chose to follow the "if it ain't broke....." :)

/ what is non-detergent oil #49  
lead paint used to be good.. and we used to drown witches too ;)

Hard to argue with the 'if it ain't broke' routine though.

I have an old farmall that I still mix 00 grease and 140w gear oil in it to aim for a 200-300w gear oil consistencey that they like...