What is that smell yuck. I hate this job.

/ What is that smell yuck. I hate this job. #1  

dex3361

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4400-1 HST,FEL, 3x3 remotes, TNT. BX1500 54 mmm
Been having problems with the septic system. I moved into the house in 87 and had installed a correctly installed system when I built the house. It has a 1000 gallon tank that I had pumped out about 2 years ago. It seems as though the leach be will no longer take the amount of water that we are putting into the system and some of it is coming to the top at the lowest point. I studied whether to replace the entire field or add onto it. I compared prices and decided to add a section of Bio-diffusers onto the system. After digging the leach bed up in a few sections it appeared that the pipe was clear and that it just could take the amount of water.

/ What is that smell yuck. I hate this job. #2  
Do you mean you think it is unable to handle the water volume? That's a tough one. You may have to redo your leach bed and it will probably be to a different code standard than 1987.
Dave.

/ What is that smell yuck. I hate this job. #3  
Somethings odd..why did you pump 2 yrs ago, any before?. BTW i have a 1000gal tank and have it pumped out about every 4 to 5 yrs since the install. For the area I live, it's the best way to do it. Not that everybody does.

/ What is that smell yuck. I hate this job.
I decided to add on some and give it a try and when I did I made a distribution box to monitor whether the new system was taking the overflow or not. Here is a pic of the add on field before I started.

Attachments

• HPIM2402a.jpg
    HPIM2402a.jpg
    832.1 KB · Views: 699
Somethings odd..why did you pump 2 yrs ago, any before?. BTW i have a 1000gal tank and have it pumped out about every 4 to 5 yrs since the install. For the area I live, it's the best way to do it. Not that everybody does.

2 years ago I had a problem with the downstairs commode not flushing well. I dug up the access lid and checked the tank (it had never been pumped out and it had been for over 20 years). It wasn't full but I decided to pump it out. come to find out the exit pipe had sheared and dropped down enough to let the slightest thing plug the exit to the tank. When all of this was going on I dug up and inspected the field tile in several places and it was clear. My children are using more water and washing more clothes and I suspect the system can't handle as much as it used to. Here is the first step for me was to put in a distribution box(Blue poly barrel) to have someplace to pump the old system from. I diverted the gray water to a field past where I was working.

Attachments

• HPIM2399a.jpg
    HPIM2399a.jpg
    509.7 KB · Views: 530
   / What is that smell yuck. I hate this job. #6  
1,000 gallon tank is way at the minimum in my area. In fact, my old house had a 1,200 gallon unit and that was allowed only because of it already being there. The codes now require something much larger. Don't know what, but much larger. In my leach field at that old house, the area was heavy clay. I found the leach bed can be rejuvenated with new methods. There's a process whereby the ground around the tiles is charged with highly oxygenated air (I believe...). That is supposed to get the microbes charged up and get them working at a higher rate. I believe it is a sanctioned way to address a tired leach filed. The county agent in your area can give you a lot of help and good advice on this. Mine sure did.

I really have not had a problem with the tank I think the leach bed is a little undersized but was put in according to our county regulations. I do not like having poo problems. Here is the next step in my process of rectifying the leach bed problem it may be overkill but I would rather be safe than sorry. I put the 6 foot tiller on the Kubota and started working on the trenches. Before I started I set up some grade stakes of rebar with a rotary laser.
Then I used the FEL and made a trench in the front of where the ends would start and I didnt want to go to deep as I was afraid that when the soil settled it would settle the pipe with it.

Attachments

• HPIM2404a.JPG
    HPIM2404a.JPG
    448.1 KB · Views: 323
  • HPIM2405a.jpg
    HPIM2405a.jpg
    582.5 KB · Views: 490
I used the no gravel type of leach field called Bio diffusers and I figured this would be plenty of additional leach field to solve my problem and here are how they lay in the bed.

Attachments

• HPIM2413a.jpg
    HPIM2413a.jpg
    465.8 KB · Views: 369
  • HPIM2415a.jpg
    HPIM2415a.jpg
    514.4 KB · Views: 1,146
   / What is that smell yuck. I hate this job. #9  
Don't take this wrong, but, several things MUST be understood about septic systems and leech beds.
First and foremost.........Never Ever put anything down the drain that kills bacteria........PERIOD.
This includes, but is not limited to....hand soap, dish detergent, laundry soap, bowl cleaners, chemicals(paint thinner, gasoline, turpentine......anything)......Grease (as in greasy foods), as they solidify in cold water IE: leech beds.
Crush up 1 cake of yeast, and flush it every month(builds bacteria).
Follow the above, and you should be trouble free for years to come.
Hope this helps,

Don't take this wrong, but, several things MUST be understood about septic systems and leech beds.
First and foremost.........Never Ever put anything down the drain that kills bacteria........PERIOD.
This includes, but is not limited to....hand soap, dish detergent, laundry soap, bowl cleaners, chemicals(paint thinner, gasoline, turpentine......anything)......Grease (as in greasy foods), as they solidify in cold water IE: leech beds.
Crush up 1 cake of yeast, and flush it every month(builds bacteria).
Follow the above, and you should be trouble free for years to come.
Hope this helps,

Let me go get my wife maybe she will believe it if she reads what somebody else writes.:D No seriously I am very particular about what goes down the drain. I use the yeast and sometimes I will use ridx.