Buying Advice What is the best generator for our needs?

/ What is the best generator for our needs? #21  
I would suspect it was a pump problem. I had a 3500 watt generator and it ran my 1.5 HP well pump with no problem among other things... it could be that the old pump had some corrosion and was tough to get moving at first.

/ What is the best generator for our needs? #22  
I've had a couple different brands of generators. There's a few decisions you need to make, mostly how hard do you want it to be to turn on and what do you want to run while it's on. If the answer is turn on automatically and run whatever then one of the whole house units (10kw plus) running on natural gas would do it, but are costly and not portable. I've got a large house and for me I just want to run some lights, heat, well, septic pump, fridge, freezer, hot water and a few other things. I'm able to do that easily with a 7500 watt generator that spikes to 8500. If you just wanted the basics (heat, water, fridge) you could get by with much smaller, I used a 3500 watt generator for many years.

When you look at generators find the prices and brands cover a wide spread. I believe Honda is top of the line and top of the price range, I had one that was over 30 years old and still ran way better than a new generac. The Generac I have is cheap, runs like it's cheap and I have little confidence in it despite it being brand new (Likely I'll save up for a Honda to replace it at 3x the cost). A friend has the generac whole house (14kw) and it's been nothing but trouble with blown circuit boards and other strange problems. Another option that is very cheap and can generate a ton of power is a PTO generator for your tractor, they can run a whole house with a moderate tractor and are a fraction of the cost. The downside is you're using your tractor and at least in my case when the power's out its usually because of a storm and I want the tractor for clean-up too.

/ What is the best generator for our needs? #23  
When you look at generators find the prices and brands cover a wide spread. I believe Honda is top of the line and top of the price range, I had one that was over 30 years old and still ran way better than a new generac.

Hondas are the Cadillac of generators. Clean power. Reliable as all get-out. And really quiet to boot (well, quiet for a generator anyway). They demand a substantial premium per-kW compared to basically every other generator out there. I have never been able to convince myself it was worth it.

The downside is you're using your tractor and at least in my case when the power's out its usually because of a storm and I want the tractor for clean-up too.

I have always had the impression that PTO generators were mostly for farmers with multiple tractors. "Oh. Power's out? Go get the garden tractor while I use the backhoe to clear these downed trees."

/ What is the best generator for our needs? #24  
Hi all,
We are thinking of getting a generator (portable) and I am clueless and overwhelmed by all of the choices. I do know we would probably like diesel, would be nice if could run on propane as well. Enough power to run house (everything need not run at once). Would like to be able to run well pump if needed (believe it's 220vac). Would like to stay under 2k or even $1500.
What are the best brands, and which brands should we stay away from? Which extra features would you look for? Any specific dealers? Also, we live in CA and seems like there are some restrictions in regards to certain generators. Thanks in advance!

I suspect you need to come to grips with the fact that your budget if $1500 is a down payment on a diesel genset to power your home. I suggest you either increase your budget or plan to get by with alot less during the power outages. I would suggest figuring out how to get by with a small Honda genset about 3,000 watt with electric start running on gasoline, these cost about $2,300 roughly and are quiet enough not to be a problem. You can buy a cheap generator for much less but they are very loud and you and your neighbors will find it very aggravating to use. Plan on camping so to speak.

If you infact do have a 3 to 5 hp well pump you need to find a way around this problem, a storage tank and a couple of 5 gallon buckets comes to mind and keep a supply of distilled water for drinking on hand.

/ What is the best generator for our needs? #25  
I suspect you need to come to grips with the fact that your budget if $1500 is a down payment on a diesel genset to power your home. I suggest you either increase your budget or plan to get by with alot less during the power outages. I would suggest figuring out how to get by with a small Honda genset about 3,000 watt with electric start running on gasoline, these cost about $2,300 roughly and are quiet enough not to be a problem. You can buy a cheap generator for much less but they are very loud and you and your neighbors will find it very aggravating to use. Plan on camping so to speak.

If you infact do have a 3 to 5 hp well pump you need to find a way around this problem, a storage tank and a couple of 5 gallon buckets comes to mind and keep a supply of distilled water for drinking on hand.

The sound factor varies. My generator is installed in a "dog house" that's vented. It cuts a small amount of the noise by being in there. Additionally, in the winter, when there's a significant amount of snow on the ground, that cuts the noise level quite a bit too.

All-in-all, you get used to the noise pretty quickly. It basically becomes white noise, and that just falls into the background. Hard-wired allows you to have it away from the structure a short amount (can't go too far without the wiring becoming an issue / expense), and that goes a long way in reducing noise level inside the house.

/ What is the best generator for our needs? #26  
Fuel consumption is also a concern. A larger generator uses a lot more fuel even when not loaded. An inverter generator is the most fuel efficient and the highest initial cost. My 8 kw generator uses about 1/2 gallon per hour. When the power is out around here roads may be blocked and the gas station may not have power, or if it does it may run out of gas. Fuel ages and Stabil should be added to extend life.

Generator parts will be gone quickly and you should keep spare filters and plugs.

Generators must be run periodically (mine says every two weeks) or they will not work when you need them.

/ What is the best generator for our needs? #27  
I've test measured both a 1hp, and a 3/4hp pump at 275' with a high accuracy device. The first drew 30 amps the other 25 amps, both at 240 volts, and both high currents for about a full second. You have to remember that a large mass of water must be accelerated, and check valves moved. You can't compare a 1hp deep well pump load like other 1hp motors when sizing a genny.
Another factor is that it's the vertical distance from the water top surface to your house level, not the depth of the well that determines the running load, but for starting, it's the total depth that matters.

/ What is the best generator for our needs? #28  
Thanks Newbury. I have scrolled the threads and they actually leave me more confused and with a stiff neck! We have natural gas, propane and electric. Based on what I have read diesel is our top choice, followed by propane. If power went out we would want to keep fridge running and be able to run small electric appliances but not the A/C 24/7. What confuses me most is if we wanted to power our well which has a 3 or 5 hp pump and 240v. I was looking at one that was key and remote start. Do you guys think it's better to have a coil vs remote start? What about air vs liquid cooled in my price range? Best brand and dealer for up to $2k max (would like to stay below $1500) that ships to CA.
Again, until we know your estimated power requirements and other requirements it's a shot in the dark.

And remember for your low price you have to be innovative.

Here's some scenarios for under $1.5K, but will probably cost $2k for EMERGENCY power-
Power goes out for less than a week, natural gas stays on, you have a tractor to use, you need 8K power max, your willing to wire it yourself, start it yourself.
First the well - Forget about it. Get yourself 1 or 2 IPC totes.
Pic of my simple rainwater collection method:
8x6SAM_0428.jpg
Moving two empty totes:
8x6SAM_0422.jpg

These can be had easily for $100 each, sometimes FREE (Thanks Taylortractornut) and hold about 300 gallons each. Fill them up when the power works and you've got plenty of water for $200. And maybe a rain collection system.

Now power inside -
Get a basic transfer switch for $100.

AND
Wait until just after an emergency is over and scour the big box stores for returned generators. You should be able to get an 8KW returned one for well under $1000.

OR
Scour Craigslist etc. for PTO generators. I bought an almost new, 12.5KW in Md this summer for $600. A week earlier there was one in the midwest for $700.

OR
Scour CL for used generators well after a storm/power outage. Many people buy one for EMERGENCY where they need it NOW, then later decide to go to a whole house generator when the emergency passes, and sell the one they bought.

IF you go with a gas based generator but your natural gas rarely goes out you can get a kit for about $300 to let you use natural gas, LPG, or gasoline A and C Propane Natural Gas Conversion Kits. Natural gas is a LOT cheaper than gasoline or LPG.

Bottom line - it's possible, but not cheap. And as soon as you start talking of hiring an electrician at $100+ an hour and generator power to run a 5HP 240 Volt water pump the money is gone immediately.

I've got
A Harbor Fright 0.8 KW generator - $80
A Lowes 6KW generator - $600
A Winco 12.5 KW PTO generator - $600

So my price point was near yours, I've yet to get my transfer kit. It can be done, but you need to be innovative.

/ What is the best generator for our needs? #29  
This is all really good advice. My two cents.

These can be had easily for $100 each, sometimes FREE (Thanks Taylortractornut) and hold about 300 gallons each. Fill them up when the power works and you've got plenty of water for $200. And maybe a rain collection system.

Around here (Knoxville), I regularly see those 300 gallon totes, with the metal cage included, for $75. That just seems to be the going price.

Now power inside -
Get a basic transfer switch for $100.

Depending on your situation, you may do better with a backfeed breaker and manual lockout. This allows running any circuit in the house, instead of having to pre-determine and pre-wire circuits into a transfer switch. Also, don't forget to add in the cost of the receptacle and wiring, which I don't think are usually included in the transfer switch.

/ What is the best generator for our needs? #30  
<snip>
Around here (Knoxville), I regularly see those 300 gallon totes, with the metal cage included, for $75. That just seems to be the going price.
<snip>
Not to get to far of-topic, that's why I wrote $100@. In DC the asking price ranges from $85 to $175.
But I wanted to point out that if you NEED typical EMERGENCY water, say 50 to 100 gallons/day (forget the long baths) a couple of IBC totes could replace $1,000 worth of generator capacity. And if need be you could wire it so you could switch off everything else and switch on the pump to just fill the totes.