What is the latest you have cut hay?

/ What is the latest you have cut hay? #1  

MIKE_D

Bronze Member
We were tiring to get a third cutting this year. We cut in July then fertilized, I am beginning to think it will be to late. I hope to get a week of decent temps and dry weather. I really don't think it will happen. What was the latest you all have cut?

/ What is the latest you have cut hay? #2  
Have you had couple hard frost yet..whats your location?

Mid September was our 3rd cut and didn't get all that much...made some ruts :( and this morning notice the fields w/half inch snow. :(

/ What is the latest you have cut hay?
No frost at all yet. I am located in south central KY. We haven't had a snow that last past noon the next day for 3 years. The ruts are what worry me the most. I just got the big feild (60 acres) half way smoothed out last year. If its not dry enough I might have to wait until spring.

/ What is the latest you have cut hay? #4  
I have a couple fields that I really can use the hay off of ... nothing but rain here and the fields I am sure are wet. Maybe if the sun comes out and no frost I'll get them yet this year.

/ What is the latest you have cut hay? #5  
We cut hay up until the first hard freeze..depending on the weather..rain etc. but we are having so much rain in my part of Ga. that I can't get to some pastures just to bush hog right now..I would tear up the pastures.

/ What is the latest you have cut hay? #7  
We cut Bermuda grass and we like to have about 2 or 3 weeks after our last cutting before first frost to keep the grass strong.

/ What is the latest you have cut hay? #8  
We were tiring to get a third cutting this year. We cut in July then fertilized, I am beginning to think it will be to late. I hope to get a week of decent temps and dry weather. I really don't think it will happen. What was the latest you all have cut?

December, but that was for chopping.

Guys around here are making 4th and 5th crop and second crop new seeding right now.

It is common to see hay made well into Nov around here.

/ What is the latest you have cut hay? #9  
Some times with combining and cultivations the third cut gets ignored so it's quite common to wait till after a hard frost and then mow alfalfa...The grain work is caught up as much as possible now and after two -7's this week guys are starting to mow now..!

/ What is the latest you have cut hay? #10  
The last cutting of hay has many variables that go into it. Climate is the biggest as others have mentioned. If your cutting alfalfa and don't give it time to get some growth back before winter sets in then you run the risk of "winter kill" here in Minnesota. 3rd cutting for me is around the first week of September.