What is the most important things to look for when buying a tractor?

/ What is the most important things to look for when buying a tractor? #21  
Just a few items. I know there is more
  • Is it comfortable to operate? You will be spending lots of quality time with your tractor. Better make sure it fits you. Ergonomics.
  • 3 point assembly. Is it deluxe? how much can it lift? how well does it work? Jerky? etc.
  • Gear or HST? If HST make sure the pedals feel good to you.
  • tractor seat and operators station. Is it comfortable? can you adjust it to a good position, etc?
  • Where is the diesel tank located?
  • Is the loader universal quick attach? how easy can it be removed? how much can it lift? Is visibility good from the operators seat?
  • How much is the PTO Horsepower?
  • How easy is it to get to filters, battery, etc.?
  • Is there a TOOLBOX? How big? where is it located? what can fit in it?

Finally and most importantly, joining a tractor website with thoudands of opinions from different folks all across the US and some foreign folks mixed in as well that you do not know, to tell you exactly what you need and should buy.:LOL:

/ What is the most important things to look for when buying a tractor?
One should always wear hearing protection when operating any tractor so comparative noise is a non issue
I never had to do it with my John Deere, not what I would call 'comparative', one is a rumble like a Harley while the other is high decibel squeal like a F18 Super Hornet taking off a Navy Carrier.....

Last edited:
   / What is the most important things to look for when buying a tractor? #23  
If not a true tractor dealer (lawn mower or uhaul or used car dealer) I would pass.
I agree with this in principle, but for many of us that severely limits options. Unfortunately, none of the tractor dealerships within an hour's drive of me are strictly farm equipment vendors, most also sell OHRV vehicles (ATVs, snowmobiles, etc.) too.

Certainly a well-established dealership is a plus, but I'd put a well established brand higher on the priority. You can always find JD, Kubota, etc. parts somewhere but maybe not so much for a brand that either didn't catch on or is not widely distributed.

/ What is the most important things to look for when buying a tractor? #24  
I agree with this in principle, but for many of us that severely limits options. Unfortunately, none of the tractor dealerships within an hour's drive of me are strictly farm equipment vendors, most also sell OHRV vehicles (ATVs, snowmobiles, etc.) too.

Certainly a well-established dealership is a plus, but I'd put a well established brand higher on the priority. You can always find JD, Kubota, etc. parts somewhere but maybe not so much for a brand that either didn't catch on or is not widely distributed.
"Well established" dealers come with a price tag to.

/ What is the most important things to look for when buying a tractor? #25  
Don't understand the love for the high priced green paint when many other good manufacturers has comparable tractors and equipment and can even offer better service. There are many good choices that have been backed by years of experience. The biggest decision is to find the one you are comfortable with, the one other have owned and would recommend. I would also recommend looking at some used tractors, check them over to see what may have been repaired such as loader frame and mounts. A low hour used tractor may fit better than a new one, and not have the modern electronics and pollution trappings to put up with.
Yes name recognition is important but usually carries a slightly higher price, better parts availability, and hopefully a better quality machine.
Many of the old manufacturers were the innovators of modern designs ie Massey Ferguson the 3 point hitch, Cockshutt independent power take off. Yet some others brag they did it first.
But many of the main line manufacturers fell on hard times in the 80's when the farm economy tanked. Many have been bought out, combined with another, or just disappeared. Many of the older tractors still have new parts available on line or thru salvage yards. The more popular they were back then the more is available now.
In the end you have to choose what you feel best fits what you want to do and the one that is comfortable and just plain feels good.

/ What is the most important things to look for when buying a tractor?
Just a few items. I know there is more
  • Is it comfortable to operate? You will be spending lots of quality time with your tractor. Better make sure it fits you. Ergonomics.
  • 3 point assembly. Is it deluxe? how much can it lift? how well does it work? Jerky? etc.
  • Gear or HST? If HST make sure the pedals feel good to you.
  • tractor seat and operators station. Is it comfortable? can you adjust it to a good position, etc?
  • Where is the diesel tank located?
  • Is the loader universal quick attach? how easy can it be removed? how much can it lift? Is visibility good from the operators seat?
  • How much is the PTO Horsepower?
  • How easy is it to get to filters, battery, etc.?
  • Is there a TOOLBOX? How big? where is it located? what can fit in it?

Finally and most importantly, joining a tractor website with thoudands of opinions from different folks all across the US and some foreign folks mixed in as well that you do not know, to tell you exactly what you need and should buy.:LOL:
I would add the location of the handles and knobs, levers, etc.., as I can barely get some as behind others and others are so small I cannot grasp them with gloves like the PARK lever to say nothing of the dipsticks...

/ What is the most important things to look for when buying a tractor? #27  
The jobs you require the tractor for.

/ What is the most important things to look for when buying a tractor? #28  
I bought Kubota for one reason: my only local dealers were Kubota and JD. Having previously owned a JD I wasn’t too enamored of the local dealer when buying parts and service. Not to mention the cost of the green painted plastic. I will not buy a brand without local parts and service. I do maintenance, but leave the diagnostic repairs to the dealer.

/ What is the most important things to look for when buying a tractor? #29  
Don't understand the love for the high priced green paint when many other good manufacturers has comparable tractors and equipment and can even offer better service. There are many good choices that have been backed by years of experience. The biggest decision is to find the one you are comfortable with, the one other have owned and would recommend. I would also recommend looking at some used tractors, check them over to see what may have been repaired such as loader frame and mounts. A low hour used tractor may fit better than a new one, and not have the modern electronics and pollution trappings to put up with.
Yes name recognition is important but usually carries a slightly higher price, better parts availability, and hopefully a better quality machine.
Many of the old manufacturers were the innovators of modern designs ie Massey Ferguson the 3 point hitch, Cockshutt independent power take off. Yet some others brag they did it first.
But many of the main line manufacturers fell on hard times in the 80's when the farm economy tanked. Many have been bought out, combined with another, or just disappeared. Many of the older tractors still have new parts available on line or thru salvage yards. The more popular they were back then the more is available now.
In the end you have to choose what you feel best fits what you want to do and the one that is comfortable and just plain feels good.
Good advice, but I’m not sure about the wisdom of buying used today. Good low hour machines are selling for nearly as much as new without the ultra low corporate financing.

/ What is the most important things to look for when buying a tractor? #30  
Good advice, but I’m not sure about the wisdom of buying used today. Good low hour machines are selling for nearly as much as new without the ultra low corporate financing.
Exactly which makes that wisdom not relevant in the current market conditions.