What is the strongest UT??

/ What is the strongest UT?? #11  
Maybe I am asking too much from a CUT, UT, or what ever the heck its called ?

Chuck, I think you are right. This isn't a lecture because I've worn the shoes you are in many times. I recently agreed to move a rock for my neighbor and found myself way over the limits of my tractor. I got the rock moved, but I really should not have even attempted the job. Had there been a weak link in my tractor, it would surely have chosen that time to give up. With the help of a downhill slope and loose rolling gravel driveway, I was able to maneuver the rock into position. As I drove away, my neighbor was calling me a hero, but I was calling myself an idiot.:eek:

I agree with everyone who suggested you find a used industrial TLB for those big jobs. Finding one under 12K lb is probably more trouble than finding one in your price range. Of course, hiding a TLB from your wife will be pretty difficult.:D

/ What is the strongest UT?? #12  
Of course, hiding a TLB from your wife will be pretty difficult.:D

My motto is that if you can't hide a TLB from your wife, you need more land!;)

Jake - sure you can get a fair to good TLB for 2500 to 10,000 in that 12-17k pound size. But it sounded like the OP would want a newer machine with less hours and fewer problems. The price range I quoted will get him a 10-15 year old machine with 2000-3500 hour in good to very good shape.

Chuck, If you do look used, don't be afraid to low ball the offer. There are more machines out there now than buyers. If you see one offered for 35k, and your mechanic likes the condition - offer to close the deal for 25K today. End of the month and end of the year are coming - it's time to move inventory! (or buy presents if it is a private party).

luck with the hunt,
jb

/ What is the strongest UT?? #13  
The problem with a used industrial TLB is lack of use . I know I have had one for 23 years. Bought it 3 years old with 400 hrs on it . Now has 1100 hrs on it. It seems every time I go to use it now there is some repair that takes longer than the job. Mostly hoses blowing now, except it just took me 6 weeks to get it running. Long story posted else where. I even thought about replacing all of them but some are inside the backhoe boom. Major cylinder removal to get to them.
But it does do the job , for sure.

/ What is the strongest UT??
Thanks for input guys.. Problem with full size or comercial TLB is I can not mow, BB, or till with one... Moving it would be an issue as well my current towing set up is 1 ton dually, 25' gooseneck lowboy single wheel with 2 7k pound axles reason for Max weight of ~12k#. Owning 2 machines is not an option at this time..

Sounds as if the M59 meets all of your criteria except cost. Does the hoe on the M59 outspec the Woods BH90-X?

You need to either lower your standards or get busy enough to justify the expense. There never has been any free lunch; and cheap, good lunches are harder to find.

Yes Rick from my limited research the M59 does outspec the BH90X and the LA854 considerably. I have not looked at other brand Utlility TLB's to compare specs. and pricing...

Chuck.

/ What is the strongest UT?? #15  
really, any compact tractor is not going to give you the performance difference you are looking for. You could probably find a used L48 that would but a step up. Your L5240 is no slouch.

/ What is the strongest UT?? #16  
The problem with a used industrial TLB is lack of use . I know I have had one for 23 years. Bought it 3 years old with 400 hrs on it . Now has 1100 hrs on it. It seems every time I go to use it now there is some repair that takes longer than the job. Mostly hoses blowing now, except it just took me 6 weeks to get it running. Long story posted else where. I even thought about replacing all of them but some are inside the backhoe boom. Major cylinder removal to get to them.
But it does do the job , for sure.

I'm in the same boat with my mid 70's JD 410. Always runs (maybe slightly different boat) but every time I use it I'm wondering when the hose is going to blow. I try not to take it to places where I don't want it stuck.

/ What is the strongest UT?? #17  
I know I could pick up that stump with my NH TN75. A little big for finish mowing but great in fields.

Andy

/ What is the strongest UT?? #18  
really, any compact tractor is not going to give you the performance difference you are looking for. You could probably find a used L48 that would but a step up. Your L5240 is no slouch.

I'd agree. I tried using a compact tractor like yours for jobs that required a regular utility sized tractor. Once I got a utility sized tractor it greatly reduced the pucker factor and was much easier on the tractor. I bought one that was a year old. It was like new but about 25% or so less money and was still under warranty for a year. Good luck.

/ What is the strongest UT?? #19  
Utility tractors are generally 50 - 100 hp units. I think the Kubota M9540 is considered a UT. The point is don't but the tractor for one over the top job. If the stump is to big to move with what you got thats what they make chainsaws for. I delt with a massive old elm tree that died that had a stump that was about 6' diameter. I just cut it out in chunks and draged it off with an ATV (didn't have my MX5000 at the time).

/ What is the strongest UT?? #20  
Don't know which UT is the strongest.
But from your tale I'd say you need a big yellow TLB like this one

It's a JD 410C, 1970s vintage. You can find this type of equipment on craigslist and in the classifieds for a lot less than $50K. It's the right tool for your type of job.

A follow-up to my previous post in this thred.

An equipment auction in Chico just concluded yesterday. A nice JD 310D TLB went for $11,599.
A JD 410 went for $5,500. Tranny is slipping in high gear but otherwise works OK.