What is the trick to smooth shifting?

/ What is the trick to smooth shifting? #1  

JackMS

Tractor
Mahindra 3540 HST
I bought a new 4025 gear yesterday. I am having trouble getting a feel of how to shift it without grinding gears. My book explains the dual clutch by saying push half way to shift gears and all the way to engage pto. I have tried pushing the clutch to all different positions and about half the time it grinds. I had the same problem with an old 5500 I borrowed a few months ago but thought it was the tractor but now I think it is me. I've had an HST for a while but am new to gear tractors. All tips appreciated.

/ What is the trick to smooth shifting? #2  
Are you standing still while shifting or are you trying it while moving, like car/truck shifting?

Bruce

/ What is the trick to smooth shifting?
Dead stop. Going from reverse to a forward gear and vice versa. At idle speed also.

/ What is the trick to smooth shifting? #4  
Glad I've got syncro's in all gears and a power shuttle. If the gears do not have syncro's. Your going to have to do as JackMS suggest or work on your double clutching. This is done in tractor trailers and other large equipment, but good luck with that the tractor usually stops or looses almost all momentum before you can execute the shift in my experience.
Unless your using transort gears in the road.

Double clutch (technique) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't think this will work for directional changes but not sure.

/ What is the trick to smooth shifting? #5  
Does anyone know if the 4025 uses a transmission break? could be out of adjustment.

but since you have had issues with other non-sycro transmission it could be operator.

in general coming to a complete stop should work and be easy with the force used for shifting. Try just using your first two fingers to ease it in gear.

my .02

/ What is the trick to smooth shifting? #6  
Just an off the wall thought...being a gear tractor...it may have been sitting a while and the clutch linkage etc. may have gotten a little surface rusty/sticky and the T.O. bearing is not fully disengaging...?
Again, just an off the wall possibility...

/ What is the trick to smooth shifting? #7  
Come to complete stop at idle, the gears and shaft will still be turning for a few seconds, gently shift the gears don't jam them fast. Be patient it is a gear tractor of older design but it will treat you right for a long time if you don't abuse it. Five years of operation for me and very few gear grinds.

/ What is the trick to smooth shifting?
Come to complete stop at idle, the gears and shaft will still be turning for a few seconds, gently shift the gears don't jam them fast. Be patient it is a gear tractor of older design but it will treat you right for a long time if you don't abuse it. Five years of operation for me and very few gear grinds.
I think you are right. I got a pm last night stating the same thing and every time I wait longer it goes in to gear nice. Patience is the key here. I'm not good at that by nature but will have to learn. I'm spoiled with my little HST especially for FEL work but I bought this one mainly for backhoe work so wante something heavy but still inexpensive.

Do you push your clutch only half way when just shifting gears or do you push it all the way down? I've been pushing all the way just to ensure I'm disengaging the "first clutch" but seems like that would be over using the other clutch.

/ What is the trick to smooth shifting? #9  
Have done double clutching on a car and pickup but never on a tractor. Should work, but the tractor engine is a bit slower to blip the throttle in neutral. I learned how to double clutch by doing it to go into non-sychro 1st gear on my old 1953 Plymouth with its no rev flat head engine. Guess it wasn't much more than a tractor.

Also had a TR3B, which had an ex tractor engine in them (only revved to 4500 rpm). Double clutched it, too.

So, should work on a tractor if you have a foot throttle. You need to work like a paper hanger if it only has a hand throttle.

Ralph

/ What is the trick to smooth shifting? #10  
If i have a PTO attachment running I only depress to the halfway point. With nothing attached I just push it to the floor. A little practice will get you used to the positions. As far as clutch wear by depressing all the way unless you have a load/attachment running you will really only be putting wear on the throw out bearings, just keep them greased as per the manual and you will be good to go. By the way, if you have an attachment running like a tiller or something and you do depress it all the way it will stop immediatly and be under full load when you release it, that will put wear on the clutch and impliment. Good luck.