What is this bar for?

/ What is this bar for? #1  

handirifle

Veteran Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1010
This isn't my tractor, got the pic off the net, but it serves my need for this question. This tractor has the same crossbar on the FEL, as mine. You can see it right below the the MF logo on the grill.

The reason I ask is because it has to be removed every time I want to raise the hood. When I got mine, it was bolted on with three different bolts and nust and took about 15 min to take off, JUST to raise the hood. I replaced those with two 1/2 bolts and nuts, hand tightened, with a pin through the nuts to keep them from backing off.

I ASSUME this cross bar is necessary, but I also notice other brand FEL's do not have them.

Massey1010.JPG

Last edited:
   / What is this bar for? #2  
It looks to me like it may have been a grill guard for use when the loader is not on the tractor.

/ What is this bar for? #3  
I had a MF tractor several years ago and I believe it is the stand for when the fel is off the tractor. That will swing down and rest on the ground when you back away from the fel.

/ What is this bar for? #4  
On older style loaders, like in the picture, have 2 side arms running along side of the engine and connected in the front by the crossover bar you mentioned. It is a support for the FEL. It provides strength and ridigity to the FEL and can sometimes be used a a support for the loader when disconnected. You need that crossbar to give strength to the loader and carry the weight for the tractor.
Newer style loaders tend to have beefier vertical supports that now attach to the tractor/frame toward the back end of the loader arms.

/ What is this bar for?
Toadhill
I don't think that is the case on this because it does not stay with the tractor if the FEL were removed.
rustyrat and radman1, I think you guys might both be right. I haven't tried using the FEL with the bar removed, but I do not seem to hear any creaking or strain noises from that area when the FEL is in use. Good to know about the stand part of it's use, not sure I'd have thought of that, being new to tractors and all.

You know, last night I got to looking that picture over close (since I have nothing else to reference), especially after having to replace all four hoses for the bucket cylinders. NOW after replacing them I notice something disturbing. I replaced the four hoses just day before yesterday (no wonder I can't afford a manual yet), and I just blindly set them up like they were before, except I eliminated about 4 unnecessary fittings and "O" ring connections the former owner must have used as spacers.

One hose had cracked, but the other 3 were so weathered it was time for them to go also. So, after about $130 and a couple hours work there are new hoses.

What I noticed, was, the cylinder on the FEL that rotates the bucket, is upside down, when compared to the one in the picture. THAT explains why my hoses move so much when the bucket rotates. Sometime in the near future, I'll have to see if I can reverse the cylinders. One thing I have noticed about this poor ole tractor, is the previous owner(s) really were big on bandaids but very small on "doing it the right way". This kind of stuff really pisses me off. If parts are not available, or it's an emergency, I can see it, but when the right parts are available (like the 5ft steel lines replaced with rubber hoses that don't fit on the holding brackets) use the right part.

Hopefully, my hoses aren't too long for being mounted the proper way.

/ What is this bar for? #6  
Toadhill

What I noticed, was, the cylinder on the FEL that rotates the bucket, is upside down, when compared to the one in the picture. THAT explains why my hoses move so much when the bucket rotates. Sometime in the near future, I'll have to see if I can reverse the cylinders. One thing I have noticed about this poor ole tractor, is the previous owner(s) really were big on bandaids but very small on "doing it the right way". This kind of stuff really pisses me off. If parts are not available, or it's an emergency, I can see it, but when the right parts are available (like the 5ft steel lines replaced with rubber hoses that don't fit on the holding brackets) use the right part.

Hopefully, my hoses aren't too long for being mounted the proper way.

The previous owner was a older "Farmer". Right? Ken Sweet

/ What is this bar for? #7  
Just out of curiosity...what model and year is that tractor. It looks in very good condition. Nice machine:thumbsup:.

Never mind, misread your original post!!

/ What is this bar for?
Just out of curiosity...what model and year is that tractor. It looks in very good condition. Nice machine:thumbsup:.

Never mind, misread your original post!!

That's NOT mine, unfortunately. Mine doesn't look that nice. Mine is a 97 (according to the tag on the ROPS) MF1010. I do have the MF1014 FEL and a rotating 3 way Gannon box on the back. Everything works, but according to the PO (who was NOT a farmer), it was at a trucking plant and they used it for general crap, and it sat outside it's whole life, at least it looks like it.

I took a close look at my bucket cylinders, and they are definately not original, and the bottom bracket, is a double bracket, that would be too wide to fit in the top bracket. That explains the jury rigging with the hoses, still pi$$es me off.

OK maybe factory originals were too expensive or not available, but get something thatwill fit like it's SUPPOSED TO!

Maybe someday when I get the $$$ I'll replace them and find another use for the ones on it. Out of morbid curiosity, how much would those be anyway?

/ What is this bar for?
THIS is mine. not as clean, but she works.

MightyMassey.jpg

Actually after looking closer, ALL my hyd cylinders had the double yoke. Wonder if it indeed was made that way. It IS a different model than the one above.

/ What is this bar for? #10  
To the origional question, you see that cross peice on a lot of older tractors, and especially older industrial tractors.

It is because a lot of older tractors lack a frame. The front axle is bolted to the front of the engine, and the trans and rear are bolted behind that. All heavy cast iron but no frame. (think of the older n fords.)

That crossbar basically acts as a frame so whan you do a lot of digging/pushing/heavy lifting, the force isn't exerted on the the motor and transmission castings. It is basically a removable "frame" for your tractor that comes off when the FEL comes off, and supports the load when it on.

And YES it is necessary, unless you want your tractor in two halves.