What is this bar for?

/ What is this bar for? #11  
My Mitsu is installed in a very similar way.
That cross bar is part of the loader subframe and it prevents the subframe from opening up, so to speak.
Mine is remouvable (2 pins) to allow full opening of the engine hood which, on mine, hinges forwards.

In fact that loader installation looks awfully like what is on my Mitsu.

The brand of my loader is Schwartz, wery well made! tough!

/ What is this bar for? #12  
It is a frame for the loader. It keeps it from twisting too much if you load one side of the bucket more than the other. will work without, but could cause problems in certain situations.

/ What is this bar for?
To the origional question, you see that cross peice on a lot of older tractors, and especially older industrial tractors.

It is because a lot of older tractors lack a frame. The front axle is bolted to the front of the engine, and the trans and rear are bolted behind that. All heavy cast iron but no frame. (think of the older n fords.)

That crossbar basically acts as a frame so whan you do a lot of digging/pushing/heavy lifting, the force isn't exerted on the the motor and transmission castings. It is basically a removable "frame" for your tractor that comes off when the FEL comes off, and supports the load when it on.

And YES it is necessary, unless you want your tractor in two halves.

:D Not exactly what I'd like to do. I figured it was necessary and was most likely structural, but had no idea about the frame. VERY good point, now that you mention it I don't see a real frame. Interesting since I don't consider something made in 97 as "older", but the design sure supports the theory.

/ What is this bar for? #14  
I'm wondering if the cylinders were put on upside down, to prevent damage to the hoses. Maybe pushing brush or something, may have damaged others... Just a thought....

/ What is this bar for?
I'm wondering if the cylinders were put on upside down, to prevent damage to the hoses. Maybe pushing brush or something, may have damaged others... Just a thought....

Well when I looked at these cylinders, I noticed there is a single (not sure what it's called) pin bracket at the end of the piston but a double one at the end of the cylinder itself.

The double wide one is too wide to fit in the top mount and has to go to the bucket mount. This setup actually puts the hoses in a position where they move more and are more likely to be damaged. It was a patch job with, most likely, the first cylinders they could find.

They are Spencer cylinders and one day I may try to contact the maker and see if it can be corrected, if not I will have to wait till they crap out, I guess.

I did study it a lot yesterday, and I can add one 90 deg fitting that will help a lot.

/ What is this bar for? #16  
Guess I missundertood about being flipped over... I was thinking the fittings just turned down, but that would probably let the fittings contact the loader arms anyway...

Do you have any means to cut or grind the double end to fit in the bracket? Again, I'm assuming width, and not depth, not allowing the pin in.

Last edited:
   / What is this bar for?
Guess I missundertood about being flipped over... I was thinking the fittings just turned down, but that would probably let the fittings contact the loader arms anyway...

Do you have any means to cut or grind the double ended to fit in the bracket? Again, I'm assuming width, and not depth, not allowing the pin in.

DJ54
Yes it is width (no cannot grind), but this looks like it's a design, that calls for double ended yoke (that's the word I was looking for earlier) on the bucket and single yoke on the frame, but with the double end on the piston end, not the cylinder end, as mine is.

The double ended yoke looks like the yoke on a auto drive shaft, where the U joint fits.

/ What is this bar for? #18  
It is because a lot of older tractors lack a frame. The front axle is bolted to the front of the engine, and the trans and rear are bolted behind that. All heavy cast iron but no frame. (think of the older n fords.)

And YES it is necessary, unless you want your tractor in two halves.

Great point! My 1250 had come from an auction at a rental shop and I didn't take into account the abuse that the loader might have gotten.

I started noticing a bit of "play" in the loader when I'd make contact with the ground. Then it would pop out of 4wd at times. Being rock headed I finally noticed that several of the bolts that attach the tractor to the engine had either sheared heads or were loose.

Fortunately I was able to replace them all and keep an eye on their condition now. I'm still rock headed though.

/ What is this bar for?
Fortunately I was able to replace them all and keep an eye on their condition now. I'm still rock headed though.

:laughing:

Somehow I know what you're talkin about. Seems like everytime I buy something used, ALL the things I SHOULD have seen come to light very soon after I get it home. ie, the tread on my front tires was great, unfortunately the sidewalls were badly checked. That explained the flat tire I woke up to on day two.:(