What is this on an old Ford

/ What is this on an old Ford #1  

slapshot

Silver Member
Tractor
'51 Ford 8n
Saw this on a couple of old Fords wondering what it is and what its for.

Thanks

-dave

Attachments

• 626239-Tractor_Jar.jpg
    626239-Tractor_Jar.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 609
   / What is this on an old Ford #4  
big stuff like bugs and such usually. Lotsa people put minature tractors inside the jars.

Ben

/ What is this on an old Ford #5  
Other tractors also had them, and the Farmall is one I remember. Amazing how much dirt will collect in one of those jars in just a days time of plowing or more likely discing a dusty field when the wind is blowing. Removes the large particles before they dirty up the oil bath air cleaner.

/ What is this on an old Ford #7  
Slapshot, I think they are called a swirl-filter because the air inlet is made so the air entering is forced to swirl around and centrifugal force causes heavy particles to collect and drop into the jar while cleaner air then goes through and enters an oil bath air cleaner. The swirl filter functions only as a prefilter just as others have stated. I've also heard them referred to as a Mason Jar filter. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ What is this on an old Ford #8  
slowrev is correct. You will often find a 1/64-scale John Deere tractor inside a restored Farmall's precleaner jar, for example.

The scale model is often the restored tractor's contemporary/adversary. Example: Farmall M and John Deere A.