What is this on my Ford 8N and what is it used for?

/ What is this on my Ford 8N and what is it used for? #1  

macecase

Bronze Member
Tractor
1965 John Deere 3020 Diesel and 1975 John Deere 4630 Diesel
ForumRunner_20140126_024337.png

In the picture above, what are the two pipes? They aren't on my other 8N. By looking at them, there is one that leads down to the hydraulic pump. The other is in the cover..... Right where you fill the hydraulics.

Am I seeing a hydraulic take-off or something like that?? I have never heard of such a thing.... Now, curious if my thought is right and, if so, what types of things you can use with it.

/ What is this on my Ford 8N and what is it used for? #2  
Can it at one time have been a front loader on your tractor? I'm guessing that the tubes have gone to the hydraulic valve with the one on top of the gearbox as a return

/ What is this on my Ford 8N and what is it used for? #4  
Can it at one time have been a front loader on your tractor? I'm guessing that the tubes have gone to the hydraulic valve with the one on top of the gearbox as a return
That is likely a true guess although the original installer is lucky that they haven't blown those malleable iron fitting sky high. Those type fitting are for water, oil, gas at max of 150 PSI rating. Sure they will hold more than that but that is their design and that is at ambient temps not with hot oil going thru them. I think if it were my tractor, I would take the lower one off and plug it with a proper fitting. It is extremely dangerous to have that right by your right leg. The return line on top of the gear shift case is OK as no pressure will be on it.

/ What is this on my Ford 8N and what is it used for? #5  
There are an awful lot of tractors out there with those same fittings, not saying its right but definitely not life or death. It is definitely a hydraulic outlet, not particularly useful on the 8n's, low flow and only works with PTO in gear and clutch out. If the PTO is off, no hydraulics, if the clutch is in no hydraulics. We had one with a loader, only thing more aggravating is shoveling **** by hand. All joking aside, in 1950 they were an OK loader, nowadays they are obsolete, beyond the patience of most people. I tried mine to fold a tedder, but it doesn't work without the PTO so I have to dis-connect the shaft to fold the tedder, also use it to lift the cutter bar on my sickle, that can lift with the mower running so its not as aggravating. The flow is extremely low and the pressure is just so so. Forgot to mention you would need to chain down the 3 point arms to the rear end to force the pump into bypass, also rendering the 3 point lift in-operable.

/ What is this on my Ford 8N and what is it used for? #6  
Loader what i was thinking

/ What is this on my Ford 8N and what is it used for? #7  
yep. chain the 3pt down and hyds are diverted out the test port.. plumb in a valve, and then return it to top of trans.

I too have seen plenty of black iron fititngs in N hyds.

ain 't right.. but I've never seen one fail either. :)