What is this thing?

/ What is this thing? #1  

sawtooth

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford NAA, Ford 2810, Ford 3910-1, Ford 3910-2, Ford 4600SU, Massey 2660 HD, Massey 461, Grasshopper 725D, Grasshopper 900D
image-876394194.jpg

/ What is this thing?
Another pic. This is a Ford 4600 SU

image-597339596.jpg

/ What is this thing? #3  
your cluster have an air restriction indicator?

/ What is this thing? #4  
I am assuming the blue pipe is the air intake line from the air cleaner leading to the intake manifold. If that is correct, then this would be an air filter service indicator sensor. If the filter became plugged to the extent as to cause a substantial pressure difference between outside air and the intake manifold, this switch would trip and give a dash light indication. You could test the switch and the dash light by shorting the 2 leads together. If it were to activate during use, usually heavy, full throttle work, you would get the dash indicator, but it should reset after the engine is shut off and the filter serviced.

/ What is this thing?
Not sure if I have the air restriction indicator or not. Just bought it this week so will check. By its location this makes sense now. Thank you.

/ What is this thing? #6  
:)

have fun

/ What is this thing?

I plan too for sure. I was fortunate to have dinner with the previous owner and his wife. Got the low down on the tractor and realized it had been within 15 minutes of the original dealership it was sold from back in 1980. The owner was somewhat sad to see her go but had no use for it so wanted to move on. Interestingly enough he had purchased it from a good friend of his some 20 years ago. They still are friends and neighbors. Tractor has 1840 original hours and runs like a sewing machine. Front end is very tight as is the

image-510930869.jpg

rest of the tractor. Original paint and decals plus dealer decal showing where purchased. Even original owners manual with documentation and new checklist notes etc from some 33 years ago. How cool is that? Feel like I found an old treasure.

/ What is this thing? #8  
Did you ever confirm what the thing is? Maybe, I must have missed it.

/ What is this thing?
Based on these post I'm pretty sure now its the air filter sensor that monitors air flow. Will confirm this weekend.

/ What is this thing? #10  
Nice looking tractor. Anyone know if those are Ford wheel weights on the rear? It almost looks like a JD weight and I think the bolt pattern of both weights will fit.