What is this weed?

/ What is this weed? #11  
Seeds of this weed are a common ingredient of bird feed that many people put out in their backyard feeders. I quit using the cheap stuff and switched to sunflower seed. No more thistle.

I could be wrong.....but I believe that a noxious weed, that's seed is incorporated into bird seed, by law must be sterile. One other thing, niger thistle seed is different than the thistle that is being discussed.

/ What is this weed? #12  
I think WarrenF is probably on the money about the birdseed. Niger seed was called "thistle" in slang for many years. That does not explain the stoppage in thistle growth since xxbyv6 changed products though so who knows.

/ What is this weed? #13  
Seeds of this weed are a common ingredient of bird feed that many people put out in their backyard feeders. I quit using the cheap stuff and switched to sunflower seed. No more thistle.

The thistle seed sold in the bird food is said to be sterile. We have used many large bags of thistle feed and have had no thistles anywhere near the feeders. there are thistles in the area, but none around the feeders.

/ What is this weed? #14  
I know they fumigate the heck out of it because it is imported (usually from Africa or India) but I don't think it is sterile.

In any case, the weed is a Canada thistle for sure, I looked it up.

Happy weeding!