What is this???

/ What is this??? #1  

wksinatl

Bronze Member
Tractor
case IH 485
I found this in my Dad's barn. Any idea what is is/used for?

thanks,
Keith

Attachments

• 707448-IMG_0254 (Small).jpg
    707448-IMG_0254 (Small).jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 977
   / What is this???
another angle...

Keith

Attachments

• 707460-IMG_0255 (Small).jpg
    707460-IMG_0255 (Small).jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 616
   / What is this??? #4  
I'm with Highbeam.

Mine still have the pulley...

/ What is this??? #5  
I think there was a double shiv on the shaft and the little frame in front was to guide the rope. See if there is another one in the barn. The mate might be a single or a double. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ What is this???
thanks guys!

Keith

/ What is this??? #7  
It looks a bit strange to be part of a block. The short U shaped piece pivoted on the end may provide a clue. Has it been bent or does the shape look original. Any holes in it other than the pivot ends? If there are holes, are any of them threaded?

/ What is this??? #8  
In the past, horses (and tractors) were used instead of elevators to raise hay to the top of the barn. There was a track running in the peak of the barn to the outside. A stack of 6-8 bales of hay were picked up with large thongs and traveled up the side of the barn to the upper rail. When the hay reached the top, it would release and allow the hay to travel horizontally to where you wanted to stack the hay. There was a release rope to turn the thongs loose, dropping the load. To me, that looks like the clevis and pulley (missing) that traveled along the top rail. I'm 53 and I've only seen these used twice in my life. Most barns had this system in them though.

/ What is this??? #9  
An old rope type snatch block - (probably for a well?) with the sheave missing. Find the sheave and it may be useful.

/ What is this??? #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( In the past, horses (and tractors) were used instead of elevators to raise hay to the top of the barn. There was a track running in the peak of the barn to the outside. A stack of 6-8 bales of hay were picked up with large thongs and traveled up the side of the barn to the upper rail. When the hay reached the top, it would release and allow the hay to travel horizontally to where you wanted to stack the hay. There was a release rope to turn the thongs loose, dropping the load. To me, that looks like the clevis and pulley (missing) that traveled along the top rail. I'm 53 and I've only seen these used twice in my life. Most barns had this system in them though. )</font>

I'm 65 and only witnessed that once, Bill, probably because ours did one bail at a time and was man powered. I'll take a look the next time I get up north to where the barn is, I'll have to use binoculars though, I ain't climbin' ut there. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif