What is with impliment makers?

/ What is with impliment makers? #11  
I would buy a few quarts of 85-140 gear oil and move on. This isn't worth considering or getting frustrated about. Save that for tilling up your phone line or backing the wife's car over the stump you should have removed.:laughing:

/ What is with impliment makers?
No I was just ranting. I have selected the tiller that I want and the lack of information regarding oil is not going to change that. It is just silly that they don't provide the information.

/ What is with impliment makers? #13  
Have you tried the "old school" method and called the manufacturer to ask?
Most companies use gearboxes manufactured by another company that may change over time, or the manual covers multiple models.
Sometimes it's better to not have the info listed rather then have inaccurate info on things like this.

Last edited:
   / What is with impliment makers? #14  
As TMGT stated, NOT listing the capacity of the gearbox in the manual saves money and warranty claims for the manufacturer. They can use anybody's gearbox (whomever is cheaper at the time) on their equipment and simply state in the manual "fill gearbox with SAE 90 gear oil." The owner fills the gearbox with enough oil to the proper level and that's it. The manufacturer doesn't have to re-print the manual just because they changed gearbox suppliers. Not a silly move on the manufactures part, it's a smart move that saves $$ and paper and wages spent on technical writers salaries.

/ What is with impliment makers? #15  
Is the gear box bigger than a gallon jug ? is it bigger than a 2.5gal jug ? I have not put oil in anything new in quite some time so I don't know if gear boxes have changed but you fill it till it runs out the side hole , I assume the manufacture figures the buyers should know that.

/ What is with impliment makers?
Is the gear box bigger than a gallon jug ? is it bigger than a 2.5gal jug ? I have not put oil in anything new in quite some time so I don't know if gear boxes have changed but you fill it till it runs out the side hole , I assume the manufacture figures the buyers should know that.

It's not a question of knowing to fill the dang thing to the side hole. (A) the manual is clear on that and (2) it ain't my first implement. The issue is knowing how much oil to buy.

I get the fact that they would then have to change the manual if they changed gear boxes. I guess it is just another instance of the world thinking a half *** job is good enough.

/ What is with impliment makers? #17  
It's not a question of knowing to fill the dang thing to the side hole. (A) the manual is clear on that and (2) it ain't my first implement. The issue is knowing how much oil to buy.

I get the fact that they would then have to change the manual if they changed gear boxes. I guess it is just another instance of the world thinking a half *** job is good enough.

Maybe 99% of the population can figure out how much oil is needed without having to be told.

/ What is with impliment makers? #18  

So lets say the manufacturer says to add 17.8 oz. of hypoid 90 to the gear box instead of leaving you clueless. You buy a quart of this gear oil and want to fill the gear box. Are you going to screw up a measuring cup to get this exact measurement? I'm not, I will fill to the mark and move on. Combine this with not being able to buy the 17.8 oz. container and will say you are overthinking this. If you are going to have equipment with gear boxes I recommend you keep a couple of extra bottles of oil in stock.

/ What is with impliment makers? #19  
I agree that it is frustrating to not be able to find this important info from some manufacturers. It may well be a reflection of the quality of the manufacturer...

That said, I have a Woods TCR68 tiller and the Operators Manual clearly notes both the Gearbox Oil Capacity and the Chain Case Oil Capacity along with the specific type of oils to be used in each. The specs are: 1.2 QT SAE 80W-90 and .78 QT SAE #00 for gearbox/chain case respectively.

You may have to actually call the manufacturer to request the info. This is poor customer service in my mind.

/ What is with impliment makers? #20  
So having to contact a company about technical data is poor customer service and means it's a lower quality product?
I'm sorry I can't seem to follow the logic.