What is your favorite produce from the garden ?

/ What is your favorite produce from the garden ? #11  
<font color="blue"> We dry the roma types </font>

Bob you have my attention. How do you dry your Roma tomatoes?

Sounds like a tasty treat to me.

/ What is your favorite produce from the garden ? #12  
I am going to vote for asparagus. Once you get them going, they require almost no maintenance and produce year after year.

Plus, for what they cost to buy, they are super efficient to grow and freeze just fine.

/ What is your favorite produce from the garden ? #13  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I think in our case it's a toss up between fresh grown tomatoes and sweet corn.
/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif )</font>
Ever hear of Marietta Tomatoes?

/ What is your favorite produce from the garden ? #14  
Tomatoes for Tomato sandwiches. Mmmmm....yummy

I'll second that! In summer I will come home and pick a tomato for the sandwich. Nothing better.

/ What is your favorite produce from the garden ? #15  
OK, I couldn't resist responding to this one. It is a cold, windy, rainy day here in Southern Indiana, quite a departure from the past 3 weekends where we have had 70 - 80 degree temps. I have been too busy playing outside, but with the weather , I am inside today and got a chance to look at tbn.

I love all vegatables, but my staples have to be tomatoes, corn, potatoes, and green beans. For big tomatoes, I like big beef...they consistently produce nice big , crack free tomatoes. For mouth poppers....you have to try Juliet Hybrid. These are the size of a small egg, and warning....these are habit forming. I am trying a new small variety this year called Sugary Hybrid. For paste or sauce, try Amish Paste . These would make about 4 of the romas, and have a wonderful tomato taste.

For corn, I like Incredible....this is probably my favorite. As for Beans... I like Contender for bush beans, and an old favorite pole bean variety Macaslin.

Potatoes.... I plant Kennebec for white, and Red Pontiac. I love to roll those big ones out with the potato plow, then I have visions of all kinds of potato dishes from french fries to baked.

Ok , those are my staples....but you are really missing out if you limit yourself to those. Make yourself an asparagus bed. Yr after yr, I just keep picking. This is the first crop out of your garden...we've been eating it for the past 2 weeks. And ahh... yes...the peas...fresh peas...nothing like them.

Greens you say? I love kale...and all those other things like swiss chard, pak choi, chinese cabbage, and yes , even spinach .

And not to miss out on broccoli and cauliflower.

Did I mention egg plant , and of course peppers. Man, I am getting hungry.

OK.... I am attaching a picture of some big beef and juliet hybrid tomato seedlings that I just transplanted to bigger pots this morning......

sassafraspete

Attachments

• 635248-MVC-004F.JPG
    635248-MVC-004F.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 98
   / What is your favorite produce from the garden ? #16  
a picture of some tomato seedlings in my greenhouse.... note the dogwood flowering in the background..... tough surroundings that I have to look at.....

Attachments

• 635250-MVC-005F.JPG
    635250-MVC-005F.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 113
   / What is your favorite produce from the garden ? #17  
some cabbage (stone head) and broccoli (pacman) .... and other assorted cole crops I hope to get in the garden soon....

Attachments

• 635252-MVC-003F.JPG
    635252-MVC-003F.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 81
   / What is your favorite produce from the garden ? #19  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I think in our case it's a toss up between fresh grown tomatoes and sweet corn. )</font>

E x a c t l y !

/ What is your favorite produce from the garden ? #20  
Garden grown sweet peas /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Yummy.

Ben